Dec 21, 2018
Hello, I have a Dell Gaming Laptop 7577, these are the specs:
Intel i7 7700HQ
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design

Not long after I got this laptop, I noticed the FPS had huge sudden drops. I would be playing CS GO at 150-180 FPS then suddenly it would go to 20-30 FPS for a few seconds. The longer I played, the more often this would happen. After sometime, the laptop died and Dell Brazil told me the issue was the motherboard, so I had a new motherboard replacing the old one. I thought maybe the FPS issue was because of that. Now I have a brand new motherboard with everything included on it new, but I still get the same FPS issue.

I downloaded the MSI Afterburner and noticed what happens when the FPS drops, both at CS GO and Fortnite. When the game starts the GPU temperature is around 50C and the CPU around 60C. But it starts to increase to a point where the GPU sticks to 80-84 while the CPU goes to between 95-99, but the game still works as it should. Then suddenly after a few minutes, both temperatures lower and the fps drops to 20-30. During Fortnite, I also noticed the GPU1 use would drop from 60-70% to 20-30% while the GPU2 use would rise to 95% during the FPS drops.

The longer I play, the more often this will happen. I'm far from an expert but my intuition says the temperatures are getting too hot, so after a while that it's been that hot, the computer reacts trying to lower it down, making me use the second GPU instead of my main GTX, then I get those 5-20 seconds of FPS dropping down. So the longer I play, the longer the temperature is hotter than it should and the more often the laptop reacts this way, so the more often I get FPS drops.

Is that it? If not, what could it be? And if that's the case, what can I do to solve the issue? Because it would seem this is a bad cooling design by Dell, since the same has happened with a whole new motherboard and guess what? My dad has the same 7577 laptop and has THE SAME ISSUE. facepalm

Solution
If it is overheating then I would be looking at there being dust, debris, etc., in the laptop and cleaning that out. As well as making sure the vents are clear.

Should that not help, then we are talking changing thermal paste and possible even changing the fan(s) out if they are not functioning correctly.

Now if the laptop is still under warranty, don't do any of this on your own (or with a local tech) instead contact the manufacturer about the overheating.

To be honest, I don't understand why who ever did the work for you didn't think to look at that first before replacing a motherboard.
If it is overheating then I would be looking at there being dust, debris, etc., in the laptop and cleaning that out. As well as making sure the vents are clear.

Should that not help, then we are talking changing thermal paste and possible even changing the fan(s) out if they are not functioning correctly.

Now if the laptop is still under warranty, don't do any of this on your own (or with a local tech) instead contact the manufacturer about the overheating.

To be honest, I don't understand why who ever did the work for you didn't think to look at that first before replacing a motherboard.

Solution
Dec 21, 2018

Well, isn't the fan included in a laptop motherboard? I think that when it was replaced, a new fan came. And since mmy father has the same issue on the same laptop, plus I've seen MANY people complaining about the same FPS drops in the same laptop as well, I think this is a problem of bad design by Dell. Maybe the structure of the cooling system isn't enough to cool the hardware that it has. Do you think an external cooler could solve the problem? I have no more warranty.

It is possible it is a flaw in the design. Trying to fit more power in a smaller space just doesn't lead to good temps.

External cooling couldn't hurt, but I would keep on the manufacturer (if under warranty) about the issue as your device should work correctly and it is up to them to make sure it does. So many wait and let warranties end before doing anything.