dell inspirion 17r 5737, crash when instal driver for amd radeon hd8870 m

Edymoza

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
hi.i have del inspirion 17 r 5737 /win8.1 ,i7 4 500u,1Tb,4Gb ram,ati radeon hd8870m, service tag DB 58802,my problem ,When install the drivers for the video card, system crash and a black screen appears...I reinstalled win 8.1, BIOS update, I installed all the drivers from the Dell website ...issue persist,...What do you recommend..thx

Solution

I would contact Dell. This is a fairly new machine so hopefully you still have it on support? If so there is a service tag on the underside and they should be able to help.

I've had problems getting AMD dgpu drivers working on another Dell machine (actually an Alienware laptop used for software demos) and the only stable version of the gpu driver I could get working was the one supplied by Dell...

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I would contact Dell. This is a fairly new machine so hopefully you still have it on support? If so there is a service tag on the underside and they should be able to help.

I've had problems getting AMD dgpu drivers working on another Dell machine (actually an Alienware laptop used for software demos) and the only stable version of the gpu driver I could get working was the one supplied by Dell (I think Dell fiddle with the drivers somehow which is a real pain as forcing the stock AMD drivers tends to lead to crashes and other problems). I mean if the Dell official supplied drivers don't work there could be a problem with the gpu.

If the machine is out of support, then there are other things that we can try, but I don't want to suggest anything that would potentially void your warentee so best check that option first!

Solution