Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series upgrade

adheper

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Hey guys,
I've got an Inspiron 15 3000 series; 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2.0 GB gpu and Intel i7 4th generation processor. I want to upgrade it, but can't seem to find the exact motherboard specs; so, I rely on your expertise of the subject. Plus, any recommendations for the parts would be very appreciated. I'm planning on using it for gaming.
Thanks already!

C12Friedman

Distinguished
The GT 840M is a BGA (Ball Grid Array, the "ball" being solder balls) card which basically means it is soldered onto the motherboard and is not meant to be removed. It's not impossible to replace but few shops have the ability to do so - it's definitely not a DIY project. Your CPU is most likely BGA also which is why I had concluded the ram is all that's left to play with - oh and putting an SSD in there would be an upgrade of sorts also now that I think about it

adheper

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

I was hoping for a better graphics card to be honest. But it isn't an exclusive case; basically I want to know how much the motherboard can handle.

C12Friedman

Distinguished
The GT 840M is a BGA (Ball Grid Array, the "ball" being solder balls) card which basically means it is soldered onto the motherboard and is not meant to be removed. It's not impossible to replace but few shops have the ability to do so - it's definitely not a DIY project. Your CPU is most likely BGA also which is why I had concluded the ram is all that's left to play with - oh and putting an SSD in there would be an upgrade of sorts also now that I think about it

adheper

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

That was what I was afraid of... But still, thanks a bunch mate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
prattbetta@ Laptop Tech Support 6
E Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 5
lgdragon040 Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1