Dell Inspiron 1545 blank screen

itbookham

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hi,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop running Windows Vista.

Recently a problem has arisen in that when the lid is closed and then opened again at a later date and powered up, the backlight appears to light up but nothing appears on the screen. If I power off, remove the ac adapter, remove the battery, and then press the power button to remove all residual voltages from the motherboard, then refit the battery and power cable, and press the power button the laptop boots into Windows.

It appears that the problem lies when the lid is closed after it is powered off.

I have checked the 'Power Options' in Control Panel and disabled Sleep/Hibernate modes.

Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, did they manage to find out what the problem was? Is there a microswitch which is triggered when the lid is closed? My guess is that this is a hardware problem.

Many thanks,
Mark

Solution
There is most likely a reed switch near the front edge of the palm rest, probably to the left of the trackpad buttons, mounted to a small pcb that also contains the status symbol lights, and a magnet in the top edge of the display bezel.
There is most likely a reed switch near the front edge of the palm rest, probably to the left of the trackpad buttons, mounted to a small pcb that also contains the status symbol lights, and a magnet in the top edge of the display bezel.

Solution