Dell Inspiron 1545 SSD Upgrade+ Dual Boot

RaoulDuke69

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
I am a computer upgrade noob and I am starting a project on my old dell laptop. My goals are to make my laptop really cool, faster and to learn and have fun.

I am planning on using the Samsung EVO840 256GB SDD 2.5"

I want to remove my HDD, and install an SDD. I am thinking of leaving my Windows 7 64-bit OS on the HDD, and using a drive caddy to replace the DVD optical drive with my old HDD Win 7 OS.

Then I was thinking I would install Mac OSX on my SSD device and I would have 2 different boot drives, each with personal files on it, but not many.

I am open to other options but I do want it to be a bit on the simple side. Any good suggestions on how to do this? I am planning on booting the OS from a USB drive at first.

Solution
First off Mac OS can only be installed on Apple macs, so that is not going to work. As to moving the system to the SSD you can either go by cloning the old hdd to the ssd or using the recovery media/Windows installation media to do a fresh install on the ssd. Personally I would recommend a fresh Windows install when switching to a ssd (you might run into some problems with cloning). Also since it is a older laptop you should propably upgrade the bios to latest version. Then you can still either install the old hdd on the caddy as extra storage, or keep the optical drive and buy a 2,5" external usb drive enclosure for the old hdd to make it into a mobile drive.

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
First off Mac OS can only be installed on Apple macs, so that is not going to work. As to moving the system to the SSD you can either go by cloning the old hdd to the ssd or using the recovery media/Windows installation media to do a fresh install on the ssd. Personally I would recommend a fresh Windows install when switching to a ssd (you might run into some problems with cloning). Also since it is a older laptop you should propably upgrade the bios to latest version. Then you can still either install the old hdd on the caddy as extra storage, or keep the optical drive and buy a 2,5" external usb drive enclosure for the old hdd to make it into a mobile drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS