Dell Inspiron 7537 Laptop Won't Power On?

steve489

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I've just done a clean install of W10 on my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop. I turned off the laptop last night when the battery was about half discharged.

I tried turning on the laptop today after it had been off 18 hours and it was completely dead - there was no response to the power on button and no charging light despite the charger outputting the correct voltage.

I read online about removing the battery so I did this. I removed the battery, pressed the power button for 60s then plugged in the power lead and hey presto the laptop started! I then put the battery back in and started W10 fine. The battery showed 56% charge so the battery wasn't flat.

I'm mystified why this happened - does anyone have an explanation? I can only think there was a poor battery connection which prevented the laptop starting and removing and replacing the battery cured this.

I've also discovered on Googling the problem that some Dell batteries shut down after a certain number of charge cycles. Is there a utility program available which lets you check how many charge cycles the battery has been exposed to and how close the battery is to its end of life.

Hi,

Please do try changing the Power Option of your laptop that may help in solving the issue.
- Right click on the battery icon and select Power Options.
- Click on Change plan settings on the select power plan then click again on Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Hard disk and Turn off hard disk after then set it to Never.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hybrid sleep to OFF.
- With Hibernate after set it to Never. Click Apply and OK then observe your laptop again.

steve489

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Thanks. I've had no more problems for the past 2 days. I've set the parameters you suggest and also removed the Dell Quickset utility which modifies power plans. What causes a laptop to enter this 'dead ' state in the first place?