Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop - Cold Boot Problems

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, I've owned this laptop for some time now, it was in the Desktop Replacement range when I purchased it.

The problem is, for the past few months the laptop does not boot/post screen first thing. You need to switch it on, wait 2 minutes and then restart it for it to post screen.

My friend mentioned that it could be a loose solder that would make it need more time to warm up... What ever that means.

What could be cuasing this? Is there any tips/guides to help me fix it?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,1000000333,39149337,00.htm (difference is mine is 80GB. Not sure if thats any help.)

Thanks!!

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Damn, that thing must be old, my own one is still running sans the battery which died a little while ago.

In my parents hands now, was a powerful wee thing in it's time but that was like 2004/5 or something.

Have you tried the basic giving it a clean, the rear heatsinks are a terrible one for picking up dust.

Also is that off the wall power, I assume it is but like I say the battery on my own kicked the bucket and has been discarded now.

Does it turn on at all, you say it switches on but does not post. Perhaps it is a BIOS problem, the cmos battery could be going.

It is difficult to tell due to it's age.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hi,

Well what I've managed to figure out is that it definitly needs to "warm" up before it posts screen. When I've used it for a few hours and switch it off, then back on again it posts screen normally. But when its cold and first time, it just dosn't boot.

Everything starts, fans etc it just dosn't post screen. Its not the Screen itself either, as I've tried it on an external. It's definitly somthing that needs to be "warmed" up. :sarcastic: