Dell Inspiron 9300 Geforce go 6800 Choppy Video

egotist

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hi,

I have a laptop that can't play 720p files smoothly anymore. The laptop used to play the files without any problems. I tried some old shows that I watched in the past and now they are playing extremely choppy. I tried formatting the pc and reloaded everything, and updated the video drivers. The processor usage goes up to 100% when trying to play the video. Overall the pc feels slower but I can't say if it just my mind playing tricks on me. I don't know if it's related but sometimes when the laptop is on for a while the fans turn on and they don't turn off until you restart the pc.

I can't think of anything else to troubleshoot? I'm going to borrow a friend's HD to swap in and see if the drive is causing problems.

2gb of ram
100gb hd (65gb free)
geforce 6800 (256mb)
Pentium 1.86ghtz

Thanks

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
About the fans part, that seems to indicate higher temperatures in the computer, is it possible that there's a lot of dust in there? If you don't clean it out, air doesn't go through the heatsinks and your laptop heats up. In extreme cases, this could cause downclocking of your computer, which might cause choppy video.

egotist

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
^Thanks,

I did try blowing out the vents with compressed air. I'll take the bottom panel off and see if there's anywhere I could get a little more dust out of there.

On a side note, do you know if the processor is upgradeable?

zenmaster

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I doubt the processor is very upgradeable due to lack of BIOS support.
Dell did not offer a Dual Core processor on the 9300 Model.

You may want to checkout the 9400 on Outlet.Dell.Com which is fairly reasonable and comes with nicer processors and a better GPU.

Selling your 9300 could keep the cost down.

Spike Kaw

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I have the same Dell 9300 17" screen I open it up to find my fan cooler was cloged and not cooling So I cleaned it up but found the cpu on the video card had over heated So new card and BAM no problem spikekaw@yahoo.com

Spike Kaw

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

The 9300 is a duel processors just not duel core Intel pentium M processor

GeneralLeee14

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

yours lucky didnt blew like mine did, lol ... i was playing a game called 18 wheels of steel , maybe you guys have heard and well my video card blew just like that , and then i have a 64 mb ati express card :fou: lol