Dell Inspiron keyboard not working

Sep 22, 2018
Hi All,

My old faithful laptop has some keys that are not working properly. The space bar, backspace, and the enter button are all not working. The rest of the keyboard works perfextly. I’ve browsed forums and tried the fixes: restart computer, uninstall keyboard driver, manually update the driver, start the laptop in safe mode. None of them work and the keys didn’t work in safe mode. I plugged in a USB keyboard and all the keys work.

Anybody got any other tips on stuff to try to fix the keyboard?

Much Appreciated!

Solution
i would guess that its a physical problem with the keyboard. first i would try using compressed air (somewhat of a low psi) to blow air from under the keys. then i would see how easy it is to remove the keycaps without damaging them. you may be able to see a problem that way. sometimes carbon on the bottom of the membrane wears away and doesnt make contact. that is rare and not easy to fix on some keyboard designs.

remixislandmusic

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
i would guess that its a physical problem with the keyboard. first i would try using compressed air (somewhat of a low psi) to blow air from under the keys. then i would see how easy it is to remove the keycaps without damaging them. you may be able to see a problem that way. sometimes carbon on the bottom of the membrane wears away and doesnt make contact. that is rare and not easy to fix on some keyboard designs.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS