Dell inspiron n5050 charging problem.

Daniel_339

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I have a dell inspiron n5050 that is at 0% charge but with the AC adapter it turns on. I'm bios it said there is no adapter it won't charge but will work fine when it's plugged in. It's a replacement adapter but looks like the original. I don't know if it's my battery or adapter. I plugged it into an HP charger and it still turned on but no charge. Any ideas? I don't want to buy a battery if it's the adapter and I don't want to buy an adapter if it's the battery.

Solution

Since the charger actually powers the system without the battery, try a new battery first. If that does not fix it, try a different charger. Is that charger it came with a Dell brand?
The only way to know is to replace one of them and see where the issue is. If it works on the charger and the battery is the original one, I'd try a new battery. But your laptop power management should have been telling you that the battery needs replacing. How long did the battery run before it stopped charging? Under an hour?

Daniel_339

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I bought it from a guy on Craigslist but he gave it to me with 0% it says plugged in not charging and the led blinks 4 orange 1 white. I was thinking it was the battery until I saw in bios there was "none" for the AC adapter. It hasn't been able to get above 0% charge, I've been stuck at an outlet to use the thing. I'm not having good luck with electronics, my desktop got a shorted psu and my TV just burnt out lol.

Since the charger actually powers the system without the battery, try a new battery first. If that does not fix it, try a different charger. Is that charger it came with a Dell brand?

Solution