dell inspiron with no screen wont connect to external monitor

tylerleaf

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
i have a dell inspiron and the screen broke. i tried to replace the screen and now all it does when powered on is beep at me and will not show anything on my external monitor when i try it. ive tried the Fn button with the proper fkey to switch it but it still just runs and beeps. any suggestions?

If you are sure the laptop is turning, but won't show on the attached display or an external monitor, then your graphics card/GPU is probably toast. Which would (in many cases) require the motherboard be replaced.

If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, there are tons of videos online to help.

NOTE: Make sure your device is no longer under warranty before doing any work yourself, or taking it to someone to work on it, as that could void the warranty. In this case you should contact the manufacturer.

Mauroghiglia

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Hi tylerleaf,
can you please check how many beeps is your system doing?
If they are 8, this means that the mainboard cannot initialize the screen, so probably the replacement part is DOA or you made some mistake cabling the part.
When the system gives an "8 beep" error, it doesn't initialize neither the video card, so you cannot see anything on the external video.
If the beep is only one and continuously repeating, it means that there's a short circuit somewhere. Please, consider that when a system falls down, also the mainboard can be damaged.
Have a nice day