Dell Laptop auto-shutdown once in a day

jetf15

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
Dear All,

I have Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop and it shuts down suddenly by itself once in a day. After I restart the Machine, I have seen a running application named DSD_4276 in the Windows Task Manager.

What is the reason behind this auto-shutdown issue ?

CPU Overheating could be the reason ? How do I confirm ?

Kindly inform...

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
When it shuts down, do you get a blue screen or does it shut down as it normally would if you use the shut down option?

Also, search for and open the "Scheduled Tasks" program. Expand the entries there, do you see one for daily reboots?

jetf15

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

I have not seen the "Blue Screen".It shuts down suddenly once in a day. No unusual screen/message comes up when I restart the machine again.

"GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA" is the only Task in the running state.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
If it just shuts down, it sounds like it may be a power problem. Either that or the CPU might be getting overheated.

Can you check the Event Viewer to see if there are any errors/alerts at the time of shut down?

jetf15

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

How do I confirm that due to overheating my pc shuts down by itself ?

Event Viewer does not help me in this matter.:sarcastic:

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
If Event Viewer did not have anything relevant to say, then I hate to say it, but the problem is something Windows cannot track; so that means it's probably hardware related.

There's only so many things that can cause a system to shut down on its own: bad power supply/battery/contacts, overheated CPU, bad RAM module. Here's what I would try. Take the battery out but leave the AC adapter plugged in and see what happens. This will eliminate the first option if the behavior repeats itself.

jetf15

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks for your valuable reply.
I suspect the overheated CPU could be the main reason.
How do I figure it out ?

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Could be dust build up causing overheating issues, requires opening and cleaning, depending on how its made it may be hard and require removal of screen and keyboard etc. If you not comfortable find a trusted technician to clean it out.