Dell laptop combo jack

Lattefrost

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
I have a Dell 7566. It has a single audio jack (combo jack). The problem is, i want to connect my amp to the pc (for recording). But if i do this, i cant hear the sound from the amp. So i need to plug in a headset in order to hear what i play. I used what is called "splitter" but when i plug it in i can only choose one option (it does not allow me to use two of them at the same time) from the list that pops up when i plug in (i can choose speakers/headphones, microphone or line, even if i choose microphone it does not work with the splitter).
Also, there are headsets with microphone which has a combo jack (single input). I guess i couldn't have used both the headphones and the microphone at the same time.
Is there a way to use a headset and a microphone at the same time with this pc?
I tried to ask this question on Dell Community Forum but i can't even create a new account. It shows an error message saying "We are sorry but there seems to be a problem. Please try again after some time." I have been getting the same error for an hour.

Solution
That is pretty typical for that kind of jack on a laptop. One simple way around it is to connect one of the devices to the laptop via an adapter. 3.5mm to USB adapter (like this... https://www.amazon.com/LZYCO-External-connector-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B018YV3ALM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486193340&sr=8-9&keywords=3.5mm+to+usb+adapter) Or you can even get yourself a multi connection one that will allow plugging in the headphones and the other device.
That is pretty typical for that kind of jack on a laptop. One simple way around it is to connect one of the devices to the laptop via an adapter. 3.5mm to USB adapter (like this... https://www.amazon.com/LZYCO-External-connector-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B018YV3ALM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486193340&sr=8-9&keywords=3.5mm+to+usb+adapter) Or you can even get yourself a multi connection one that will allow plugging in the headphones and the other device.

Solution