Dell Laptop Loses Network Connectivity

31C

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hello All,

I have a Dell laptop from 2013. It is running Windows 8.1. Every since I have had the laptop, or at least since I can remember, I have a problem with it dropping internet connectivity. It will *randomly* drop the ability to connect to any network. It will happen either when a) I am already connected to the internet, at my desk, and browsing websites or b) already connected to the internet browsing websites, then moving my laptop from one room or floor to another (this happens without fail whenever I pick it up).

I have done countless hours of research on this issues. I have updated drivers. I have had my ISP send a tech out to service my network. I think I have made progress on "Issue A". It does not happen as frequently, however it does happen anywhere I take the laptop so I know it is not my network. "Issue B" still happens every day. It doesn't matter how I hold the laptop when transporting it.

When I loose service all available networks disappear from the list, not just mine. The only fix I have found is to restart the computer.

At this point I feel like it almost has to be a hardware issues, perhaps a defective network card?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Solution
It honestly sounds like the wi-fi card is going out; intermittent activity like this fits that description. One thing I would try is getting a wireless USB network adapter and see what that does for you. There are USB3.0 ones out there now, so if you get one of those, the speed might be faster than it is now when it works.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
It honestly sounds like the wi-fi card is going out; intermittent activity like this fits that description. One thing I would try is getting a wireless USB network adapter and see what that does for you. There are USB3.0 ones out there now, so if you get one of those, the speed might be faster than it is now when it works.

Solution