Dell Laptop only 5 and 6 working on number line

DellFrustration56

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hello,

My Dell Inspiron laptop numbers have suddenly all stopped working apart from the 5 and 6. When I plug in a keyboard - I can enter the other numbers. Rebooting does not help, and a VGA virus scan hasn't sorted the problem. I have tried turning numlock off and on, but it has not made any difference. I have looked under the one tile, and there does not appear to have been any spillage on the keyboard. HELP.

jboroff

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I too have this problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? I have tried system restore, BIOS, service pack upgrade, replacing keyboard...nothing works.

RonBurgandy

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
IM having the same problem with an HP mini-note.

Intermittently, the number keys stop working (5 and 6 only work) and I also have problems with the arrow keys.

Seems to happen about every few minutes then it rectifys its self, only to cause problems again in a few minutes.

Very annoying !!

Any ideas !?

Hp Mini 110, Win 7 home

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
interesting that it's always the 5 & 6 that still work.

I just ran into a similar problem with a Compaq Persario F500 laptop that I was rebuilding for a friend, in that the backspace and windows key didn't work.

In this case, it was due to the film-ribbon connector for the keyboard having poor contact in the ZIF edge-connector on the motherboard. In this case, I was able to get a better connection by cutting off about 2mm of the connector to get a fresh bit of the conductive coating into the connector.

I'm wondering if one of the conductive leads on the film ribbon connector might be deteriorating, causing the number-row to mostly quit responding... If so a similar pruning of the connecting end may be of benefit.

Unfortunately, this isn't for the feint of heart, since the ZIF connectors are different between laptop makes/models and they are delicate, so you don't want to screw it up and need a new motherboard for your laptop just because you accidentally broke a $2.00 part (the ZIF connector), which you don't have the ability to re-flow a new one onto the surface-mount solder pads.

You should be OK if you're careful and don't force anything, but you have been warned... And, heck, this may not even be the problem you're having...

Good luck.

latituded630

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I have the same problem once in awhile. My laptop is a dell latitude d630.

I don't think that it is a hardware problem (loose connection) because the special characters still work (such as !@#$%^&*(), etc.). It must be some sort of software problem, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I can still access websites have a login/password with numbers by cutting and pasting numbers from websites or documents as needed.

Other than that, I haven't found a solution yet.. Good luck

dougdougdoug

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hi all - just had the same problems - with a Dell Studio 1555. It begun with the keys 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 0 stopping working, and I saw plenty of cases of the same thing happening to others. I thought it might be a software problem, and tried the diagnostics - but in the end, it simply was the obvious - a malfunctioning keyboard - being dell, there are plenty of replacement keyboards available on online auction sites - I got one for under £9 delivered in a couple of days, and it worked perfectly

All the best

Doug