Dell laptop will not power on

jstachula

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I have a Dell n5010 and it will no longer power on after some repairs.
The power jack got broken, so I replaced it. I needed to disassemble the laptop and remove the smaller board to which the power supply jack is attached. I then removed the broken DC jack from this board and soldered in a replacement. The computer then briefly worked after that repair.
At this point, I had not removed the motherboard, but only the smaller power board connected to it. When re-assembling everything, I noticed a small clip that had fallen out. After looking around for where it might have come from, I found that it had been mounted under the access door for the memory access. In order to replace it - I needed to disassemble everything again and lift up the motherboard. Which I did. Major bummer was that – once I took everything back apart and found where the clip went – I found out it was not really necessary – but I replaced it anyway just to make sure everything was back together as it had come apart. When I put everything back together and plugged it in, there was a now a clicking sound from the motherboard and nothing would power on again. I again disassembled everything and even removed the heat sink and fan and reassembled everything and then the clicking had stopped, but still nothing will power on. I know I have a charged battery so it should power on when unplugged even if my repair of the power jack went bad just on battery power - but now nothing will power on at all even though the computer had been working on battery power when the power jack was broken before any repairs. This is driving me crazy because it had been working after the power repairs until I moved the motherboard – even though I literally moved to motherboard to look for the clip on the housing but did nothing else to the motherboard and now nothing will work.
Any ideas or know of some sort of procedure to get it to try to re-start when unresponsive? Any ideas about what the clicking could have been? I am at a complete loss at the moment and am super bummed that I had it working and then things went bad after lifting the motherboard to replace the clip when the clip wasn’t really necessary! Please help!

Solution
double-check that the RAM modules are FULLY inserted. remove them and re-insert them fully just to be sure. they could be out by a hair, you can't see it, but the machine can sense that it's not fully in.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
double-check that the RAM modules are FULLY inserted. remove them and re-insert them fully just to be sure. they could be out by a hair, you can't see it, but the machine can sense that it's not fully in.

Solution

jstachula

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015

Thanks for the reply and I checked the ram modules. Both are fully in and secure. Still nothing.

jstachula

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015

Thanks for the reply. No, no lights or anything now. Completely unresponsive.