Dell laptop, Windows 7 Internet Problems

MacHooper

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
Hey,

I have had a Dell laptop for a few months now and it keeps coming up with a "No Internet Access" Yellow Icon. It still says im connected but have no internet access and I cannot open any webpages or anything that involves the internet, every other computer and phone in the house will connect and stay connected. If I unplug the router and reconnect it works fine for 30-60 minutes but then I get the icon again, it works fine for a bit after being turned on and if it is rebooted it works fines but not for long, if I disable and then re enable the wireless networking device that was built in same result it works fine for a little bit but then stops. Now obviously I could just disable and re enable the wireless connector every half hour but its annoying and would rather it was fixed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mac Hooper

Solution
Hi,

I would start with testing if this problem happens with other laptops (wireless)

If it doesn't it is clearly the laptop problem if not it might be your router / modem.

Have you disabled power saving and hybernation/stanbdby.

I have seen problem with wireless because of that

Good luck

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Well from what you say the router is fine as no other device in the house has problems. It could be a software issue. If for example you use Chrome for browsing it might be worth installing Firefox to see if the problem still occurs. Probably worth making sure you have the latest drivers installed for your wifi card as well. Viruses or spyware could also cause this type of fault so probably worth doing a scan if you havn't already. If all else fails I would consider a fresh install of your OS and if the problem is still occuring you could have a faulty wifi card.

MacHooper

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

Thank you for replying so fast, I have just re installed windows 7 and I do use chrome should I uninstall chrome (if you can please let me know how if you can) and try Firefox?

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

I would start with testing if this problem happens with other laptops (wireless)

If it doesn't it is clearly the laptop problem if not it might be your router / modem.

Have you disabled power saving and hybernation/stanbdby.

I have seen problem with wireless because of that

Good luck

Solution

MacHooper

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

Where abouts is the Hibernation option?

steve5757

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I am almost sure that this problem is not with Google or W7, is it possible to try using a wired connection to see if the same happens, also problems like this come from your ISP, although other pc's and phones may work the protocol between your laptop and router may not be configured properly. Sometimes re-installing your router will solve the problem, if not a quick call to your provider to reset your IP address will sort things out. One other point is that your anti-virus protection might need resetting or adjusting, try turning your av off to see if it makes any difference.
Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

MacHooper

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

Wired connection is fine. I used to be able to connect fine no problems but recently it has started messing up

steve5757

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

If it works wired that rules out W7 and Google dont you think. Your ISP sometimes change IP addresses and other protocol which doesn't always affect all pc's but can affect certain ones, i know because i had a massive argument with my son,about the same thing, i kept telling him but he just said why is everything else working. In the end i went to his house, phone his service provider, 15 minutes later after we changed settings over the phone,everything was working fine. I would try re-setting the router yourself first,by pressing the reset button then re-install as from new, if not phone your provider, that is what they are there for. The only other thing i can think of right now is that you have to many things connected, but unlikely. I will keep giving it some thought.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
One other thing - have you tried connecting from a different wireless connection? A friends house or a local wifi hotspot etc? This could rule out some of the possibilities listed here.

MacHooper

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

I disabled the power saving thing and it hasn't popped up again since I have, usually it would do so every 30 minutes now I can be on it for any amount of time and it still works, thanks everyone else for all the help though

Dell-NischithM

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi Mac Hooper,

My name is Nischith and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Since the wireless internet is working fine on your notebook it means that Wireless card and Operating system itself are working fine. Next time when you see the yellow notification on your system, just check the internet activity LED on your router it will not be lit or will not be blinking. This is momentarily getting resolved by the Power Cycle (Unplug and reconnect the router\Switching it off and back on). For permanent resolution, Please have the router replaced. If the router was provided by your ISP I would request you to contact your ISP or if it was purchased separately you contact the router manufacturer.

Regards,
Dell-Nischith M
Social Media Responder

Stakeout

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
just going thru the same problems on both my new Dell Laptops Windows 7.. when they are unplugged and only on battery the wireless connection will shut down... very annoying.. first I thought it was Norton.. not so... then the browsers.. tried all three I have FF..Chrome..IE.. still doing it

I found this e-z solution on another Board and it worked for me on both Laptops.. no more dropping wireless
http://

Elizabeth Emery

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I am having the exact same problem. My connection was fine until I started the machine up on Tuesday. All other devices in the house work fine on the wireless connection (a tablet, a playstation and a Dell desktop computer) Just my Dell studio on Windows 7(64 bit) will not connect. It sees the Network, shows an excellent signal, but refuses to connect to it. Or it does connect to it, but will not allow internet access. Trying to see if the neighbors will allow me to connect to their wireless as a test. I have run a trojan killer and virus scan for adware - which it DID find and remove, but did not help.

Stakeout

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
as an UPDATE to my post above.. I posted a link ..guess I goofed about posting a link on here.. mea culpa..

anyway.. here is the solution I read about and used..I have tried using my Dell laptop many times since I used it and HAS NOT lost the connection at all.. it solved my problem hope it solves anyone else who has the same problem with their wireless adapter

************************************************************************************************
Go into Power settings of your computer, find Wireless Adapter, make sure it is set to Max Performance, most likely when on battery it is set to medium or less.

EricMN

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Elizabeth my problem sounds identical to yours. Did you find a solution?

Mark Baraniecki

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I had exactly this problem on two Windows 7 computers (two other XP's were fine).

After a lot of going round in circles we found that Avast Safe Zone (part of the paid version) was causing the problem. When it was uninstalled everything was OK. It blocks all browsers on W7 but not on XP.

Mark Baraniecki

slayerwulfe

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
if anyone is interested my Belkin router states in security (status/properties) etc that this is a lease that extends to 2050. a router sends a signal but what am i leasing that i never agreed to ? if your going to offer advice become educated. routers shut down and ask you to restart modem (because of a hiccup) and their observing. that is what routers do they observe. if you do not require mobile capabilities outside of a home environment but want mobility within your home install extensions. anything with a security key is monitoring U, try to find an old cisco.
slayerwulfe cave

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
This is no surprise to me. Not only do I see 5 posts of this every day, but Windows is not wireless-friendly: constant disconnections, "limited" Internet connection. After installing Ubuntu, everything works like a charm. Only WIndows laptops have trouble with Internet as far as I see, and it is a pain in the butt performing tasks that never even fix it. I have dug deep as you can get, and never fixed it for me, so goodbye Windows until Microsoft deals these issues out. I'm not the only victim, you, my grandpa, and tons of people I know online. Let's hope for a more reliable and resource-efficient Windows 9.