Dell Laptop Wont turn on after sitting a couple weeks. Battery Good.. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danman132x

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I have a Dell E5450 that won't turn on after sitting about two weeks or more. The power button is completely unresponsive. Thing is, this does it even after its been fully charged, and then just sits unused for a while. It can sit about a week, and then still turn on just fine but any longer causes this issue.

When it doesn't turn on, you literally just have to plug in the power cable for a second until the charging indicator comes on, on the front. Once you do this, you can unplug it and it will turn on like normal, and once booted shows the battery percentage. In this video 60%, but normally its higher. Just haven't used it or charged it recently to full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJy9YmjQYrE

Is this some sort of safety lockout or normal behavior for this? You would think it would turn on anytime though.

Reactions: chorobe
Solution
I've seen this several times in laptops and it usualy points to imminent battery failure. Remove the battery and see if mains power can bring the machine back to life. If you're likely to let it go another long period without it, leaave the mains power connected or leave the battery out.

You can find the right battery on e-Bay but be prepared to spend good money on a proper unit. Some cheap batteries are clones and they might cause a fire.
I've seen this several times in laptops and it usualy points to imminent battery failure. Remove the battery and see if mains power can bring the machine back to life. If you're likely to let it go another long period without it, leaave the mains power connected or leave the battery out.

You can find the right battery on e-Bay but be prepared to spend good money on a proper unit. Some cheap batteries are clones and they might cause a fire.

Solution

chorobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually I've seen this at work with a lot of brand new Dell laptops. We would image the laptop and get it ready to deploy, which includes updating the BIOS, all the drivers, Windows updates, etc. It may be several months before they actually deploy. BUT, when you try to turn on the laptop, it acts as if the battery is dead, no response from the power button. You plug it into the AC adapter and it powers on right away. Once you boot to Windows, you can see the battery percentage is definitely sufficient to power on the laptop and use it for hours before having to recharge it, ie. 80-90%. In other words, this is not an issue with an imminent battery failure. It's an issue with Dell laptops in general.

Another similar issue is when a staff goes on break for a couple weeks, comes back, pushes the power button on the laptop or dock's power button, and nothing. It'll only come back up after doing a hard shutdown.

I think my company needs to use a different manufacturer instead of Dell, at least for laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.