Solved! Dell Latitude 5290 Tablet Screen not working but external monitor does (attached picture)

Feb 17, 2019
For a few days I was not getting any type of image on the tablet screen other than a faint backlight (tried the flashlight trick and didnt see any type of image). So with the external monitor working I disabled the Intel UHD graphics driver, restarted the computer, then hitting FN+F8 to duplicate display I get the image below. I unplugged, restarted again, and get a flickering image of the windows login menu on the tablet screen. All-in all I cannot figure out if I'm dealing with a broken screen or just a major driver issue.

Bios was updated last week and can confirm Dell support site says all drivers are up to date for my service tag #.
Help!

Picture of tablet screen:
View: https://imgur.com/a/lDi3o1L

Solution
Looks like either a loose or damaged cable, or the display is damaged. I would start with the cable though.

As long as the laptop isn't under warranty, then you can open it up and do this yourself, however if it is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer.

If doing it yourself, check the cable that connects the display for any bends, pinched sections, tears, burn marks, etc. If there is damage of any kind, then replace the cable.

If no damage is found, then try carefully disconnecting it, at both ends, and then reconnect it. See if this resolves the issue. If it does, then you are good.

Should it still not work, then I would look into either replacing the display, or have a tech check it out for you.
Looks like either a loose or damaged cable, or the display is damaged. I would start with the cable though.

As long as the laptop isn't under warranty, then you can open it up and do this yourself, however if it is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer.

If doing it yourself, check the cable that connects the display for any bends, pinched sections, tears, burn marks, etc. If there is damage of any kind, then replace the cable.

If no damage is found, then try carefully disconnecting it, at both ends, and then reconnect it. See if this resolves the issue. If it does, then you are good.

Should it still not work, then I would look into either replacing the display, or have a tech check it out for you.

Solution