Dell Ordered to Sell 19-inch LCD for $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This has been updated. They have "suggested" that Dell do something to compensate the customers. Dell is sending out $30 coupons for each monitor order.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/01/taiwan-orders-dell-to-honor-15-monitor-mishap/

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
$30 coupons still costs them some big bucks for the large number of sales. I really don't know which side to take. On one hand you have Dell, a reputable and established company that makes severe pricing errors so maybe they deserve it? Or, you have consumers that go out of their way to purchase this incredible deal and by backing down, you hurt the customer. You could also just have customers that take advantage of this mishap but then again, who wouldn't?

$18 million is a hefty price to pay.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
This is not the first time Dell has done this. I Ordered a 1TB external hard drive from them that was mis-prices at 20 or so dollars a few months back and they canceled all of the orders for that item. They need to live up to their mistakes. I should have looked for legal action.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
wish it was a 21 inch LCD i be all over it LOL

They need to live up to their mistakes. I should have looked for legal action.

yea that trial would last long. lets see dell made a mistake that you tried to take advantage of so dell canceled your order and credited your money back for it. yea dell is in the wrong here not you lol

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
for $18 million, someone is losing their job over this. They just did the same thing with the government agency I work at. We are getting like 25 HIGH END ($4k-$5k each) machines about half off because they misquoted them.

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Dell has been making serious pricing errors on their site too many times, only to cancel orders placed. You'll see this happen occasionally if you visit sites like bensbargains or slickdeals. They get away with these errors by covering their tracks in small fine print - but I think that it happens way too frequently. Dell needs to be put in check.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The people ordering it knew it was a mistake, that's why it's 26,000 people ordering 140,000 displays. They're all going on ebay for $100 each.

DouglasThurman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
That's what's wrong with this world. Too many people wanting something for nothing, or in this case $15. I've worked retail for 15 years and all I see are inconsiderate a-hole customers who don't care about anything but getting what they want. I don't go to your workplace and act that way. I say screw the customers and Taiwan and Dell should tell them that there will no longer be any orders accepted from Taiwan. Dell will lose less money in the long run. Good riddance to a-hole customers.

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
A typing error like this was likely caused by one single employee. Think about how much shit he is over this!! haha

He just lost his company $18 million!

G

DouglasThurman has it right, though I am sure he could have put it a little more eloquently. Taiwan needs Dell right now, but Dell does not need Taiwan.

I'm sure if the Taiwanese government wanted to press the issue that much, Dell could close down and sell their factories there, putting plenty of folks out of work, and transfer those jobs to Malaysia, Thailand, India, New Guinea, or any number of places whose citizens would sign over their first born for a chance at more employment.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is how I got my guitar amp. I didn't push it or anything, I simply called and asked if it was really priced about 50% off from normal. It was supposed to be 5%, but he offered it to me at 50% anyway.

Now THAT's a good company I've bought from again. =]

Then again, I was only costing him about three hundred dollars, as opposed to 18 million.

G

As someone said congratulations on saying it's such a mistake and they should own up to it. If you were a small business would you feel the same. I like to get the best deal as much as any but this is just a giant screw up that will cost jobs if made to stand.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I really wish most websites I deal with had to conform to the kind of laws B&M stores have to live with, at least the ones around here. Find a HDTV on the shelf marked $299 instead of $2999? Sold! THEN they get to pull the low price down.

In these times of high unemployment, extra folks hired to read the latest web pages before they go live (and potentially cost the company millions) would be a benefit. Too bad all they have to do is go "Ooops, sorry" instead...

Nakecat

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
it wasn't just the LC monitor. the laptop as well. the price was 8499 NT(taiwan dollars) but dell misplace it as 499. A lot of people place the orders, some even order 200 laptops in once. Dell was expecting couple million lost because of this, now history repeat again and again.....

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I understand that this was an error, but Dell is known for their "errors". I bought a Dell 630i (big mistake) and the specification sheet was not accurate. The motherboard only had 8x lanes, not the 16x lane they listed. Also, although it listed compatibility with crossfire, this only worked with a very limited number of cards. They also lied about the lights on the system reacting to game play. I returned the system for a full refund and built my own machines from then on. Dell simply is too sloppy to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.