Dell Replaces All Blackberrys with Own-Branded Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Too bad, I hope Blackberry makes some moves to become competitive and in demand again.

I wonder how much MS had to do with this deal. It's good for them to be force feeding people WP7 so they get some market share and exposure. Especially at the expense of a competitor.

omac1a

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
@ SMileyTPB1 I don't think Dell ever sold BlackBerry, so moving to a product they actually sell only makes sense. Also, corporations are abandoning RIM over reliability, cost and security issues.

They need to seriously change their strategy or they will go the way of Palm.

glorfendel

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I doubt that Microsoft did anything to get Dell to switch. Its a net 0 for MS get 30,000 Win Phones lose out on 10 to 20 server licences for all the BES servers you would need to run that mess.

I cant believe it has taken so long.

If you want a enterprise phone you only have 2 real options blackberry witch needs at least 1 server $50 to $100 CALs and an admin\s for 30,000 of the things you would need at least 1 sql server with huge disk IO and 10 to 15 servers depending on load and then fail over hardware. Plus SQL CALs, network upgrades, ( nothing kills a network like a BES server ) mail server upgrades, and backups. Granted all that gets you total control over the phone that you wont use 99% of . Its also the most secure option against civilian hackers a government just needs to make a phone call and they have everything Blackberry does more to spy on you then Uncle Sam .

Go windows phones lose some of the control you wont use. Run everything off your exchange and AD that you already have. The only upgrades needed would be some extra ram. Get rid of all your Bes servers your Bes admin\s. Your users get a phone that is at least some what modern and since its .net you can make your own apps with in house developers.

Android has not done anything to get in on this kind of market.
Apple is a enterprise joke its cheaper to just keep the Blackberrys.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If Dell's workers begin using the phones, the bugs the find and complain about will probably be better heard by the designers. Hopefully this will improve the phones and make the market slightly more competitive.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ickarumba1[/nom]If Dell's workers begin using the phones, the bugs the find and complain about will probably be better heard by the designers. Hopefully this will improve the phones and make the market slightly more competitive.[/citation]
Its known as 'dogfooding' as in eat your own dogfood, and many companies do it.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]This will work out just like it did for HP....A sad mess[/citation]

I don't remember HP switching there employees to another phone, and how exactly do you see it ending in a mess?

Nice move for dell for simplifying there structure, if it goes well, and they use it as a learning experience for there engineers I can see dell leveraging the experience to produce some better business product.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]I don't remember HP switching there employees to another phone, and how exactly do you see it ending in a mess? Nice move for dell for simplifying there structure, if it goes well, and they use it as a learning experience for there engineers I can see dell leveraging the experience to produce some better business product.[/citation]

Of course you don't remember because it didn't involve you or perhaps just not where you live.

Dell doesn't care much about what the customers tell them to fix and they pay for them.
The hardware is good but implementation of new firmware is so poor it makes me cry.
As for ending in a mess, I never recommend peeing in your own pool figure it out bro

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
agree WP7 is good, and if Verizon would just get one with a slide keyboard, they could have a lot more sales, I know at least a dozen who want it but are holding out for a keyboard..

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]randomstar[/nom]agree WP7 is good, and if Verizon would just get one with a slide keyboard, they could have a lot more sales, I know at least a dozen who want it but are holding out for a keyboard..[/citation] I always liked phone keyboards better than the touchscreen until I used a phone with a 4.3" touchscreen.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
[citation][nom]wardler[/nom]I always liked phone keyboards better than the touchscreen until I used a phone with a 4.3" touchscreen.[/citation]

I have a 4.3 on an android phone now, but I find it just a little too big to comfortably use with one hand during phone use, and find that I am not nearly as fast or accurate with the touch-keyboard. have had it for 7-8 months, do quite a few posts/messages and still miss the keyboard.
I would be willing to go back to the 3.8 display size for the keyboard, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.