Dell Tech Peeps Through Woman's PC via Webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
How the hell does your web cam contact Dell's systems without your authorization in the first place on YOUR side? Seems like a hidden trojan in there software if you ask me.

happi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If you talk to Dell's support via internet, they will ask your permission to temporary remote connect to your computer. There are no hidden software on Dell's Laptop. Though in this case seem like she did gave him permission to access the laptop, however to what degree? Was webcam part of the permission, probably not.

Bad service by that representative

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
So she has a problem and calls tech support. They ask for permission to access her computer remotely, and she says yes. While the tech support guy has control of her computer, he turns on the webcam, but he didn't ask for permission to do that. She smells money in the situation and goes to corporate.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jeremyrailton[/nom]So she has a problem and calls tech support. They ask for permission to access her computer remotely, and she says yes. While the tech support guy has control of her computer, he turns on the webcam, but he didn't ask for permission to do that. She smells money in the situation and goes to corporate.[/citation]
I would be upset too, unless the problem was specifically with he webcam there is no reason at all for them to turn it on, maybe she is trying to get money maybe not, but unless the problem was "I can't get a picture on my webcam" then turning it on should not be done.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I just hope Dell has everything recorded so the truth will come out. People like. Computer logs and audio recordings don't (typically).

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Interestingly enough (to me at least) my apartment is about 3 minutes from that news station's office. I always get a kick out of the stories that give you that "small world" feeling.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have to say that while Dell is a piece of sh*t company with inferior customer support (I have dealt with many companies and by far Dell is the absolute champion of crap), I do think that there are way too many details missing which are critical to forming an opinion. I doubt Dell would activate her webcam since even the most basic webcam now has an indicator light which signals to the user that its turned on. I'd like to know more details.

G

who cares. Don't sit in front of your computer naked. this is just stupid. if i was the representative I would have laughed also. stupid woman.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The whole story seems a bit sketchy to me, last I checked the tech guys need you to load up remote access software before they can gain access to your system, which means she voluntarily gave them access to the system.

Mind you unless you have business level support you might as well quit while you're ahead and hire some kid to fix your problem, home support is garbage and not worth the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.