Solved! Dell Venue 11 Pro (7130) Win 10 - Not Rebooting Properly

tn800g

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Hi all, here's the issue I'm having. As the title states, I have the 7130 version of the Dell Venue 11 Pro with Windows 10 (up to date), everything is running just fine except for rebooting or waking from sleep.

For example, if the computer sits for a while and goes into hibernation it doesn't want to wake up. Same if I restart it within Windows. I have to unplug the battery, plug it back in and restart it that way for it to start. It doesn't happen if I completely shut down (not using Windows 10's fast boot).

I don't think this is a hardware issue, but I could be wrong. I think it has to deal with how Windows 10's power sleep (or whatever it's called). I've "refreshed" Windows 10 to no avail. I'm thinking about doing a full, clean install from a new USB image but would rather forgo that if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Try this...

Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power...
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

tn800g

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
My apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner, life has gotten in the way and my computer problems have taken a back seat.

As it stands, I've been able to make the Dell Venue restart properly by updating a couple of drivers. I don't recall which they are, I believe there's a fix regarding this exact issue somewhere on the web that goes further into detail.

However, I'm still having huge issues with hibernate / sleep. Whenever I close my computer or allow it to sleep, it just won't wake. I've tried a fresh install of Windows 10, updated all the drives (including the BIOS) without any luck. It's to the point where I have to use "Caffeine" in order to keep it "alive". This is a pain as I like to use this little device on travels, meaning I either have to keep it on 24/7 or turn it off and on every time I use it it and stow it away.

If it's allowed to sleep, it'll turn the screen off but still actually be on. It'll be unresponsive to any input, and when I press the little Windows button at the bottom of the screen I'll hear it vibrate. The battery will drain, and the only way for me to get it to wake up is to force restart the machine.

As I previously stated, there isn't any Hybrid Sleep option in the power settings, and I've gone through all the settings with a fine comb. I'm at a loss and at times feel like chucking this machine into a wall.

Try this...

Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers for your laptop make and model.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not remove any ACPI entries. Doing so may disable some of your laptop’s power management features, such as the ability to put it to sleep by pressing the Power button. It is also a tad complicated to reinstall those features, so best to avoid the problem all together.

Solution