Question Dell Vostro 3468 not posting, even after changing CMOS battery.

Sep 30, 2019
Hi um, so I have a dell Vostro 3468 core i5, it's my father's office's extra laptop that nobody was using, he gave it to me when I asked him to buy me a laptop for college. And I bricked it within 2 months.

It happened when I was reinstalling windows and the install process go stuck, I left it overnight but still there was no progress, so I force shut-downed it by pressing the power button for 5 seconds and that was it, after that it's not booting or posting or anything. When I press the power button, the fan starts spinning very fast and the led indicator lights up for some time and then starts blinking... This happened about a month ago and I've been trying to fix it since then. The ram and HDD are working (tested them on another system also formatted the HDD) so figured it must be a CMOS issue so I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, still nothing.

After fishing the internet for a solution I found this article on dell's website: https://www.dell.com/support/article/in/en/indhs1/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en.
Following the article I created an "external usb key" to flash a new bios but still was met with failure, point to be noted: when I try to start the system from the usb key by plugging the power supply to the laptop while holding ctrl+esc as directed in the above article, the fan stops spinning and the led light stops blinking but nothing happens on the screen and when I switch it back on it goes back to it's previous state still bricked.

As mentioned above I've just now joined college, as a computer science student, and I'm pretty determined to solve this myself and also mainly because I'm unable to afford professional servicing.. I obviously need a laptop from college as a computer science student and I don't know what I'm supposed to do when the project assignments start being issued!... so can anybody please help me solve this. Thank you for your time.

Edit: oh I forgot to add this, the laptop does not have beep codes, instead it is programmed to use the led indicator to signal light codes by blinking different colours in different patterns but my laptop's light just blinks white infinitely...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 0
Smalinguu Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
only_shreyansh Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 4
R Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 3