Dell W4200ED no sound

gdunican

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hi, I was one of the unfortunate soles that purchased a Dell 42" plasma when the first came out in 2004. Paid like $2600 I think!! Anyways...

I love the picture it provides - phenomenal! Last year the sound started crackling and popping, even with volume at 0. This was on occasion only. Even tried new speaker wires and then new speakers as well. Same occasional popping/crackling...

Last week the sound went completely out and was making even louder crackling/popping noises. Brought it sadly out to my workshop. And did the following:

1- removed back and checked for popped (bad) diodes. NONE found.
2- looked for any blinking LED lights when powered up. NONE found.
3- knowing that the power supply going bad (research), I removed it and bought a new one ($40). This panel was actually called the sub-power supply. Installed new one. RESULTS: the crackling / popping was GONE! Yay, but NO sound at all now! Checked through main menu to make sure the speakers were not muted and they were not. Decided to do the factory reset on TV through main menu, STILL NO SOUND.
4- Looked on internet for the Class D Ampliphier for the TV, but none available! I called Jimmy's.com directly and the I stoked service person said he clarified none of these were in stock. He put a tech on line and the tech said that Dell (mostly Panasonic by the way) used a glue, that over time became conductive. He said the simply remove the glue off of back of Ampliphier and to try that. I did... Reinstalled amplifier and still NO SOUND!!
5- checked all connections that I had played with and then ALL Connections! Still NO SOUND. Even took a working speaker and its wire from my larger tv that was knowingly working... Still NO SOUND!!

While this is an older Plasma and is subject to other problems, based on my research, if I can fix it for less than a $100 bill - I'm happy with that!!

Any suggestions? Or any idea where I can get the class D Amplifier? I could continue replacing boards, but I know that would be ignorant due to the availability of a larger TV LED backlit for like $500+

Model: DELL W4200E
Amplifier part # 31041370009.2

Thanks,
Greg - Maine

gdunican

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Indeed that is the exact board that I assume has gone bad on my TV. BUT I CAN NOT find it in stock at any of the online TV parts stores - including the link you sent to me. I have checked Ebay as well.

Is there a simplified way of verifying that this board is faulty or not? What else could cause no sound? Besides the obvious - speakers, mute button on and sound settings?? Thank you for your help!!

lilwind

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Did you ever find a replacement? I am finding I have the same problem.

Thanks
Breeze - TX

plasticrelic

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
I just started having the same problem with my Dell plasma W5001C HD. All inputs produce a cracking sound in speaker and no audio is apparent at speakers. I will post any updates I come up with. Going to try the audio out and see if that works.