Dell x300 password

brokenbuyer66

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
Hi My enmail is rajan@earthlink.net. I am buying a dell x300 which has a password on it. can anyone suggest what needs to be done in order to get off the password ? THX in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sorry, we can't help you get around a password. Sounds to me like you may be buying a stolen computer.

Also don't post your email in an open international forum. It will show up in google searches and you will get spam.

brokenbuyer66

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
Hi Sorry about the email address. I di dnot know. the computer is not stolen. It is from a government contracted recycler. The laptops are US gvt issued, phased out and sold to people. Pl how do you assume that stuff is stolen before even asking ? sorry

D

Deleted member 217926

We have no way of knowing that the computer is not stolen so it's against forum policy to help people bypass passwords. Sorry.

And read your first post objectivly...it does sound like the computer is stolen. If you had explained everything in that post you would have received nicer responces.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I cannot believe they wouldn't remove and destroy the harddrive... that's basic security for any company decommissioning computers... let alone the government

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Interesting. All US government departments in my State are required to re-format disks like 7 times or so then they have an area where the drives are smashed with a sledgehammer. This practice has been in place for 15+ years. I'd be curious to know the name of the recycler and where they are located. Thanks.

brokenbuyer66

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
THX again to everyone who replied and helped me out. Unfortunately I passed on this laptop due to all the complications. This was actually a 5 computer lot on ebay which i was bidding on as I already have and LIKE my own dell x300. It is probably one of the best amchines ever made and VERY robust. We have dropped it several times etc and still keeps on ticking. Gd Luck folk and have a nice weekend.

brokenbuyer66

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
hi guys i actually bought a recycled machine on ebay for $25, it needed a HDD, caddy, connector, RAM, PS, OS. I am slowly gathering the parts and I already have the same laptop for the recovery OS disk + drivers. Overally my total for the laptop is going to be about $75 + time i will spend putting everything together. a dell x300 has to be taken apart to put a HDD. But the laptop is one of the best ones made and almost UNBREAKABLE. Take care guys.(and gals)