Dell XPS 13 2015 or ASUS Zenbook UX303LA Broadwell

Kirby5588

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
Dell:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312471000

Asus:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Zenbook-UX303LA-US51T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.313371600

Both are $100 off from the microsoft store by using the code PCGRAD15 at checkout. My complaint for the dell is if I want to match the specs of the asus (more ram and ssd) I have to pay a lot more. I really do think the asus is the better deal but the dell is a bit smaller and looks better with a longer battery life. Wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Solution
Between the low laptops I prefer the Dell XPS 13 because of it's smaller size and longer battery life. But as you stated, the Dell XPS 13 has less memory and a smaller SSD. It's lower resolution screen allows for better battery life, but if bumped up to a QHD screen, then the battery life will be less because there will be more pixels that needs power.

Personally, I don't really care about touchscreen, but if that is something you want then the Asus Zenbook is the one to go for. Additionally, the higher QHD resolution of the Zenbook's screen means you will need to deal with scaling issues and that is dependent on the specific software you plan on using. If the software does not support scaling, then you are going to have to deal with...
Between the low laptops I prefer the Dell XPS 13 because of it's smaller size and longer battery life. But as you stated, the Dell XPS 13 has less memory and a smaller SSD. It's lower resolution screen allows for better battery life, but if bumped up to a QHD screen, then the battery life will be less because there will be more pixels that needs power.

Personally, I don't really care about touchscreen, but if that is something you want then the Asus Zenbook is the one to go for. Additionally, the higher QHD resolution of the Zenbook's screen means you will need to deal with scaling issues and that is dependent on the specific software you plan on using. If the software does not support scaling, then you are going to have to deal with tiny icons and menus on a 13.3" QHD screen.

Basically the Dell is the better laptop but it will be more expensive 'cuz 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD is a bit too restrictive. The Asus is a better bang for the buck especially if an estimated battery life of 8 hours is still enough for your needs.

Solution

manmeetpaul

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
ASUS FTW. Don't overthink. Better i/o and display. I'll trade battery life for a better and more productive experience any day. And the battery life is not bad, just not better than the Dell. Comparisons are not always fare.
Best of luck.

Kirby5588

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

Thanks, that's the exact explanation I was looking for! I feel the asus is more for me because I currently own the T100TA and love it with all my heart. Only downside is its atom processor. The zenbook is like an upgraded version of that and for $799 I think it's a steal!

Kirby5588

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

Yeah, I agree the Asus seems to be the better deal here!