Dell XPS 13 9350 plugged in but not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nii Anzie

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Dell XPS 13 9350 plugged in but not charging. i tried running the Dell XPS 13 9350 System BIOS update but it says battery needs to be charged above 10% before the system Bios can be flashed meanwhile the battery is not even 1% charged. what do i do?

sakhatib

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

I'm having the same problem (but model 9360). Did you ever find a solution?

Adam_Strudel

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
EVERYONE. I HAVE GREAT NEWS. I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION FOR MY XPS13 9350
I've had this problem for months now, and it has gotten to the point where it will NEVER charge. It used to just start working eventually, but no longer. I read literally hundreds of posts with potential fixes for this with no luck. I tried new chargers, nothing. Battery is fine. Updated my BIOS. Nothing. Spoke with dell, and they said I need a new motherboard, but they didn't have any so I needed to call back later. [] that. I looked for one online...$500+. Also [] that.
Here's the workaround I found:
Although it's not actively advertised (for whatever reason), the 9350 supports USB-C charging. I did some research and found a USB-C charger powerful enough for this laptop. Cost me $60 on Amazon. Whatever. Shit works. And it's better thank a $1500 paperweight. Somehow bypasses the charger identification. idk. shits crazy. anyways here's the charger:
Innergie PowerGear USB-C 45 45W Laptop Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188PAD00/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you're really out of things to try, front the $60. Next cheapest option. Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

monish.thakur

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Just try cleaning the plug pin...by blowing hard into the laptop pin or try cleaning by soft brush

georgesta

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
I have two power supplies, so when one didn't charge when out, I waited until I got home. The one at home did the same. It charged for around 30 seconds, then gave the "plugged in not charging" notification. I tried the remove battery connection and pressing the power button in for 10 seconds method; that didn't work, I then tried updating the Bios, that did not work. More research on the internet, led me to blowing into the power connector and into the connection port, still nothing. I then noted the reference to using a soft brush, I found a small artist's brush and softly cleaned the power port with that. Seems to have solved the problem. It's been plugged in and charging for the last hour, so hopefully that has solved the problem. Thanks and good luck. I must say, I've had this Dell since July 2016 and it has been nothing but trouble. Problems with sleep and losing power, I had to reinstall Windows 10 Pro due to blue screen problems, and now this. I for one, will not be buying a Dell product again.

Status
Not open for further replies.