Dell xps 13 9360 cpu max speed not as advertised?

Pembo_

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hey! I just bought the dell xps 13 9360 (8th gen) for christmas. It looks stunning however I noticed that on task manager it says the cpu max speed is only 1.8ghz where as it says on the website it should be up to 3.4ghz. Am I reading something wrong??

I have also been getting very very loud fan noises every now and then when I am just on google chrome...? I have updated the bios and everything to the latest versions. Please help! :(

Solution

ya. you have a laptop with the lower power version of the desktop coffeelake cpu. its idle frequency is 1.8 and turbo when needed spins up to 3.4. you dont have a 'regular' pc core i5.
fan loudness and heat is a tradeoff for a powerful laptop.

Pembo_

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Alright i'll do that now! i'll get back to you

ARICH5

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

no that means thats what the cpu speed is currently. everytime you look at task manager it never says that the cpu is 100% constantly at the highest rating of the cpu, that would be silly. but at idle that cpu was doing 1.8ghz.

Pembo_

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Okay that sounds better. However, at one point I just had one website open on chrome and the cpu was at 100% and the fans were soooo loud. Furthermore the fans randomly just start roaring at times. It seems to be a bit better over the last few hours though; maybe I am just worrying too much
:/

ARICH5

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

ya. you have a laptop with the lower power version of the desktop coffeelake cpu. its idle frequency is 1.8 and turbo when needed spins up to 3.4. you dont have a 'regular' pc core i5.
fan loudness and heat is a tradeoff for a powerful laptop.

Solution