Question Dell XPS 15 (2020) vs Asus Zephyrus G14??

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2020
Hello, im gonna get a laptop but i cant decide on which one to choose, Dell XPS 15 9500 or Asus Zephyrus G14? Thanks!

Jul 13, 2020
I also have the same problem :)

Since most of my needs are programming (lots of VM, code, compiling) both seem compelling especially the 9500 with 16:10 aspect ratio but i am also very portable, and 0.5kg more is a lot.

i downsized the following cons if any of them are deal-breaker for you just get the other one :)
Dell XPS 9500 - Cons
  1. Heavy (2.05kg - i saw it was closer to 2.4 in real life in some review...)
  2. Ports - No USB A
  3. Power - consumes a lot of power

G14 - cons
  1. No home/end/pgup/pgdown ( AutoHotkey might be able to help out here, I'm still trying to figure out if that will work in VM environments and bind right/left Ctrl button with arrows Ctrl+Left=Home Ctrl+Right=End Ctrl+Up=PgUP ...)
  2. No webcam - WHY? something is better than nothing ... (looking for a good one...)
3 .Display Brightness - 330~nits on FHD (120Hz) and ~270nitson the 4k model - that very low, impossible probably to use outside.

* G14 memory upgrade is tricky, you need to get 8gb soldered model (I think you need to buy the 16gb model for that 8gbx2, one in stick and one soldered to the MB) to add 32GB ddr4 stick to reach the maximum 40GB ram
On other aspects they are identical

Jul 13, 2020
G14 - Cons,

1. AutoHotKey, isn't fully working. Not working in VM you have to redefine it for each VM so that sucks.
  2. Webcam - mmmm I can give that up ...

Dell XPS 15 9500 - Cons
Decided I can live with all the cons, its really worth the extra cash to get brighter display if you are working long hours and working on the go.. the extra screen realstate is handy !

Status
Not open for further replies.