News Dell XPS 15 (2020) vs. MacBook Pro 16-inch: Which laptop wins?

Jun 4, 2020
Just to be clear, if I want to stand there and admire the look of my laptop, I should get the XPS, but if I was to USE my laptop I should get the Macbook Pro with it's better performance, better keyboard, better trackpad and better battery life. Surprised y'all wen't gaga for the carbon fiber deck that is a fingerprint magnet!

TBolt

Estimable
Feb 8, 2017
I’m glad glad they compared these 2 machines because they were the 2 options that I was once considering. That said, I don’t regret my 16” MBP. It wasn’t perfect — a built-in light sensor needed to be replaced by Apple — but every spec (display, keyboard, touchpad, speakers, OS) that matters most to me has been met in this machine. 👍

Having Windows installed using Boot Camp (for light gaming) is a positive, too. If Apple stops providing Boot Camp when they ditch Intel in the future, I may just have to stick with Windows-based machines again.

bilavideobill

Estimable
Dec 27, 2017
I own the 16" MacBook Pro. I love it. I do wish I could chop off the top, but that's where the camera sits. I don't mind the familiar aluminum clamshell design. Dell has made a fantastic rival device with advantages of its own, but the comparison between the two is a bit wobbly. There's no way to compare two of these at the same price point. I think the big factor will be which operating system you prefer (or have applications for). If you're a PC person, it's a no-brainer; go with Dell. If you're a Mac person, same deal. Buy Apple. What is nice is the competition that motivates both companies to bring a lot to the table.

Jul 29, 2020
Every reviewer seems to love the XPS but that's because most don't use them as their daily driver. I have had mine for two years and the problems are never ending. Most of problems seem to come down to firmware/bios issues. Here is my list

• The GPU fan rattled out of the box, got fixed sorta with an in house service (only hardware issue I had (sorta))
  • There was the DPS issue that went on for months (speaker crackling sound issues , google it)
  • When the computer is in sleep and/or hibernate it can't seem to fully turn off when the battery is low. The result is the battery is drained to the point that it gets damaged. I get windows/bios low battery crash warnings on boot up when I plugged it back in on boot up.
-As a result of the above (probably) I had 1 of the 6 battery cells fail withing 16 months. After two years of use my battery capacity is degraded by 34-40%.
-The cpu will throttle to 800MHz for no apparently reason on battery occasionally (1-2 a week). Computer is cool to the touch, no cooling issue.
-The Dell Power Management App takes 1 to 2 minutea to open. Really Dell?! How poorly is this thing written. I can open a 300mb CAD file in less time.
-Within the first year of it's life Dell pushed 11 bios updates, that's one a month! Talk about patch over patch over patch, no wonder the thing never works properly. Once they even issued two bios updates withing one week because the first one rendered some people's laptops useless. It was like some 18 year old kid was writing the patches and just pushing them out like some side project.

I'm definitely not a fan of Macs but this is why people buy Macs. They just work. The problem is that the physical unit feels rock solid but the software is a total nightmare.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the thing caught fire one day because the bios over charged the battery. At least it's in a machined aluminum chassis. Maybe that'll contain the explosion a little.

Never again Dell.