Dell XPS 16 - Screen Goes Black...

Csivoka

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Hi,

I have an XPS 16 with Windows 7 Pro.

Here’s my story: a week ago my laptop start acting up. The colors on the screen were messed up and not accurate. It has happened before, (as I remember when you close the lid and reopen it right away so the pc gets confused).

So I restarted my laptop in order to get the screen colors fixed. Instead, I got bigger issue.

So during start up the Dell logo appears in blue color, then turns purple and then black. That all happens within 3 seconds. I got it connected to my TV trough the HDMI which appears to work fine.

If I let the laptop sit for a while, screen safe mode turns on. After moving my mouse, or if I tap on keyboard during deactivation on screen safe mode my laptop screen appears again and then turns blue/purple and then black again. All this happens in 2-3 sec, just like during start up.

Anybody have an idea for a solution??

I ran all the tests trough the bios, and everything appears to be ok. Besides my screen not working.

Here’s link to a video which shows my start up: https://youtu.be/J7WfOi5erR4

Thank you

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Do a hard reboot first, remove the battery and unplug its AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting up again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If it doesn't work on the built in display but working on the external display do uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Do also check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work the problem lies on the LCD itself.
- Do try to remove the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard then put it back in making sure it's seated properly.
- The only solution if all these will not work is to replace the LCD itself.