Review Dell XPS 17 review (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2020
Any thoughts on the optimal profile for streaming Vudu and Netflix video on the 4k XPS 17 machine? How much RAM? Which video card? Which processor? Don't want to do anything else but watch movies in 4k so any non-relevant extras are not worth it to me.

Sep 30, 2020
I fell for the specs and am actually am now regretting purchasing. We received our two fully kitted out laptops with the 64GB Nvidia Windows Pro option (a total of $7k+ ) at the beginning of August. Since then it's had issues with: battery longevity; recognizing its own power adapter; random black screens on extending displays for dual monitors; at least two bios updates, one which caused a full shutdown due to overheating; HDMI audio playback issues; booting up from sleep; and the fan is always on and loud if you run anything but the basics. Open Visual Studio Code, Adobe PhotoShop or Premiere and the fans kick in super loud. Trying to have a Zoom conf call using the onboard mic/speakers/webcam and sharing the screen on any program that triggers the fans is a no go. Seems like there's a weekly update on it that mitigates some of these issues but for its price point, this is ridiculous.

Nov 22, 2020
I have a mid-spec XPS17. Had Macs for years, and still have a macbook pro... if you are a computer geek you really need both. Now i will tell you why the Dell is better: You can crack the case and add a second hard drive - replace the initial one and upgrade the memory... That makes the dell better - for the long term use of the owner and the ability to upgrade as the mission dictates... Go Dell!!!!!!!!

Reactions: jsuppan
Status
Not open for further replies.