Solved! Dell XPS 9560 Sudden Power Off

Aug 22, 2021
Specs:
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
  • 16.0 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 1050
  • 1TB SSD Storage
  • 4K UHD Touch Screen
I usually use my laptop docked, so this usually isn't a problem. But, when I take it out of the docking station I start running into some problems.

1. If I shut down my PC, take it out of the docking station, and then attempt to turn it back on (using battery) then the laptop is unable to turn on.

2. If I put the laptop to sleep, take it out of the docking station, and then try to turn it on (again using the battery), then it will turn on. But, I just encountered a moment where it was on for a while and then proceeded to shut down abruptly (this isn't normal, but it is what caused me to post about the problem)

When the laptop is unable to turn on, I mean nothing will turn on so I can't boot into safe mode. The only way that I know how to get the laptop to turn on again is by plugging it in to charge, or placing it back into the docking station.

I checked the battery connection to the laptop, and it seemed fine. A bit confused about why this is happening. If you have any theories or solutions to this problem, please let me know.

Solution
I suspect your battery is bad. Run the Dell diagnostic and check the battery when you are in the docking station. Does it say the battery is charged fully?