Dell XPS l702x win 8.1

Jane19966

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
So i recently got Windows 8.1 and figured I would do a clean install from USB.. I flashed the USB drive with the downloaded .iso file directly from Microsoft MSDN site. I can boot up on the USB and install the OS. When it is done, it restarts but hangs at the black screen with a flashing white cursor. Any help? I searched for this issue but all I saw was stuff with a similar situation but not from a fresh install. I have installed Windows 8 on this laptop before. What could the issue be?

Thank you in advance.

Jane19966

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
So I tried removing the laptop drive and putting it as the only drive in my desktop. I was able to boot up on the USB drive and install 8.1.. After install, the system reset and guess what.. All works. It now gets past the blinking cursor. Now to put it back in the laptop and see if it works.

Jane19966

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Everything works fine. I get to enter my product code and settings. It's at, "Finalizing your settings" now. Few extra steps but worth it I guess. Wonder what stopped the laptop from booting. I used the same exact OS on the USB.

I hope this gives someone some help if the are installing an OS on a laptop and get the same black screen and white flashing cursor after restart. Anyway, good luck.

TRENDING THREADS