Eliphas Levi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hi folks!
I've got a Dell XPS M120 with the Intel T2300E processor (1.6 GHz). Because it got slower over the years I decided to upgrade a few things. I upgraded the RAM which now consists of two 2GB units. Next I bought an SSD. Finally I wanted more processing power so I bought the Intel T7400 (2.16 GHz) which should be compatible.
I dismounted the whole laptop and installed the new processor, making sure I added enough thermal paste. I reassembled it and after turning it on, the following happened:

I pressed the power button. The lights go on for about 2 seconds, and then it shuts off again. The display remained off and the CPU-fan doesn't even start spinning. There is no power coming to the motherboard at all.

I thought that it could be that the BIOS needet to be updated so I re-installed the old processor. Sadly, the same thing happened.

Dear forum, please advise me what to do. I'm desparate. What could it be? Did I break the whole thing? Isn't there enough power (my battery's busted so I keep it plugged in to the wall)? Is the motherboard damaged? Or maybe the socket?
I love this laptop so much and I would love to see run with an SSD, more RAM and more processing power.

Thank you very much in advance!

@rgd - the OP wrote T400. He/she might have meant the 2400, which is the same package and same TDP.

@eliphas - is that the actual model that you meant? Also, how was it mounted? That's a notebook machine, and in notebooks that CPU is usually mounted in a PBGA, which is soldered directly to the motherboard. Was it actually the pin version?

Eliphas Levi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Yes it is a PGBA socket. I mounted it exactly as I did the original one. The model is an Intel Core 2 Duo T7400, upgraded from the original T2300E. I misspelt the model saying it was a T400. Excuse me for that, I will edit it in the original question.

The problem is that after I installed the new processor and found out the motherboard wasn't getting any power, I reinstalled the old processor and the same thing happened. The laptop power light turns on for 1-2 second after I press it and then switches off again. The CPU-fan doesn't spin and the LCD-display stays completely black.