Dell XPS M1530 fails POST.

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
A few months ago I took my Dell laptop apart for cleaning. I took off the heatsink, took out the CPU (for no reason, I was just curious), applied new thermal paste and then restarted the computer. However, when I restarted it, the computer would not POST. It would show the Dell bootup screen and then get stuck at ~80%. When it got stuck, the CPU fan also stopped. So today I got the idea to take apart the computer and reset CMOS. I took the entire computer apart, took out the CMOS battery (and also replaced it with a different one), and now when I boot up for the first time it tells me:

RTC mode fixed - time & date may be wrong.

This is expected for a computer that lost power. The unexpected thing is that it still gets stuck at ~80% just like before. I thought for sure resetting the CMOS would fix things.

No HDD, CD drive, or any peripherals are connected.

Any help would be appreciated. I am desperate for ideas.

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
The loading bar just stops at 80%. If I try to enter the BIOS, it says something along the lines of "entering setup" and then also proceeds to get stuck at 80%. It doesn't give me any error message.

Quixit

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
Replace the motherboard (or more realistically the entire thing). Sounds like you damaged it when you took the notebook apart.

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Then there is nothing we can help with, professional repair but first try reseating everything like keyboard cable add on cards and ram.

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
This first happened when I took out the heatsink (accessed by removing only one panel), not when I disassembled the entire computer. Could the motherboard really have broken just by me doing that?

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Everything is possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 2
Y Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
N Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3