dell xps m170 overheat

kincade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hey, so my laptop wasnt used really for about a year. Before that I used to it mainly game, played wow and oblivion sometimes, and I never had any problems. My screen went out and I never replaced it for a long time, so just about a month ago I got it going again. Anyways I have played certain games on it and pretty much anything I play will end up shutting down my computer after a couple minutes saying it became warmer then expected. I did a search and saw about cleaning out the dust, Ive got an air compressor so im going to blow it out today. Also the only change I made to it was switching to a slower hard drive, from 7200 to 5400, so that should be even better on heat (hitachi travelstar) and from 1 gig of ram to 2. Its also got a 2ghz pentium m and a 7800gtx.

Is there anyway adding 1 more gig of ram could cause this? I highly doubt this... but still wondering. Also was wondering what kinda temps I should be seeing on certain components?

Thanks

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I would recommend cleaning out the heat sinks - I have an XPS M1710, and it's amazing how much dust can collect in there without you realizing it. Also, make sure it is on a surface where the intakes (under the rear corners if it's like the 1710) aren't obstructed - I actually raise the back of my 1710 slightly by putting something under the back when gaming so they can get the most airflow possible.

kincade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Ok so I did clean the heat sinks and fans with an air compressor, there was so much dust in there, i use to clean it pretty often but havent for quite a while. Also i have it propped up a little in the back now as well. What a difference cleaning that has made so far, fans havent gone to full speed yet, ill see how it is after longer sessions.