Dept. of Defense Making Anti-smoking Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I can't quite see how this would work. If this is free, I wouldn't have to even pay for it since I don't even live in the States lol (unless they restrict it to the US only).

Regardless, no tax dollars from me =D!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
If governments want people to quit smoking this is what they do...

1)Increase the cost in USA per pack a couple bucks (Canada we pay $12)

2)Take ALL the tax money gained from the smoking for one year and place into a fund.

3)Make smoking illegal.
4)Take ALL the fund “tax” money and offer FREE patches and medication to those whom require it (everyone) for 3 months.

It’s a drastic plan… and it would work. Those who can’t quit will buy their cigarettes with their pot on the corner and face criminal charges.

G

Would you really trust anything emmanating from the DoD to install on your computer? I'll eat my hat if there's not any "big-brother-ware" included on the "free" installer.

G

grieve: That's it, make it illegal. We saw how well that worked for alcohol. And thank goodness crack is illegal, which therefore prevents anyone from doing it. I hear that's nasty stuff, although I've never known someone who did it, but hey, the DARE officer said it's bad so it must be.

I don't smoke(anything), for the record.

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
grieve:

Yeah, because making marijuana illegal totally stopped people from smoking marijuana. And back in the 30's nobody drank alcohol either, because it was illegal!

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I've been in the army for 6 years now, so I feel I should post a little bit on this subject.

1. "Taxpayers dollars at work". Well let me ask you this? Did you know that taxpayer dollars go to current service members and veterans to pay for our health insurance?

Let me ask you another question? If this game can convince a large number of our military members and veterans to quit smoking, don't you think the reduced amount of medical care that we receive from smoking related illnesses (Treatment is ALWAYS VERY EXPENSIVE).

It might be 3.7 million right now, but in the long run I think it will save lots of money in health care costs (Not to mention drastically improve many service member's lives)

Then again, it seems to be a common American trend to not care about us soldiers. Pretty apparent when close friends of mine die in Afghanistan or Iraq and won't even make the news papers, yet you got stupid celebrities making front pages of every news paper in the US.

To quote a stupid civilian - "Pathetic"

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The point making it illegal is to make it less readily available.

I agree criminalizing alcohol, pot, and cigarettes would not stop consumption; however it certainly reduces the total user count. Imagine how many crack heads there would be if you could buy it @ the store?

As a smoker, if I could not walk into a store to buy cigarettes I would face the music… time to quit. There is simply no way in hell I’m going to risk my carrier/life to buy cigarettes from some junky and face jail time. I would be willing to bet at least 70% of smokers would see it this way as well. As hard as it is to stop smoking, I feel we just need some real incentive.

LockPick

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i can't wait for a smoking mod[/citation]
Nah, I'm waiting for the butter-smoking mod.

Ever play Heroin Hero?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
To quote a stupid civilian - "Pathetic"

That's the problem with you idiots who fight wars so some politicians can make money. Bush is under the thumb because he threw party for his contracting friends in Iraq without any real support.

Defend my homeland, and I'm find with that. Our forefathers only wanted LOCAL MILITIA FOR A REASON. They didn't want to conquest. The original colonies tried to make PEACE with the Natives and wanted to be out from under the tyranny of foriegn rule. They certainly didn't want to terrorize other nations, like we've done to Iraq. Remember the Pilgrims and the war against England?

Insulting CIVILIANS is pretty retarded, since you claim to be defending us. The hell if I have much say where my tax dollar goes. Personally, I think you're probably just another H.S. dropout who wants cash in his pocket and bought into the propaganda of your native country.

Status
Not open for further replies.