Desktop.ini Appeared on Desktop on Restart after Artemis! warning from McAffe

Jeepu

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Hello everybody,

Sorry if this is long winded--please let me know if I can clarify anything

So I recently tried to install this program called 'Battery Care' for my laptop. It had been positively reviewed by multiple websites so I assumed it was safe to download. I tried downloading it multiple times. My first download was stopped by McAffe midway through. The second time I tried downloading it from CNET--Halfway through the installer (before I actually installed anything) I got another warning from McAffe. McAffe pointed out recently created files in my System32 folder (I think) that it considered suspicious--I allowed McAffe to delete them.

So when I restart my computer, I notice I have desktop.ini files on my desktop. Doing some research, I learn this is totally normal and I have nothing to fear. The thing is, I never checked off the option to show hidden files in my folder settings. It seemed to have been checked off by itself...

I scanned my PC with McAffe, Malwarebytes and Avast and everything is coming back clean. Is it possible something is undetected in my PC that is not being picked up by these anti viruses, or is my PC clean?

Solution
I would expect that your PC is clean.

Could be that some attempt was made to infect your system and McAfee stopped it based on some later action taken by the attempt.

But run a few extra scans and keep an eye on the checkbox. Back up your data and have a recovery disk/USB drive handy.

And you can look for the check box setting in the registry if you are really concerned. Then you may be able to monitor the checkbox even more closely. However, poking about the registry is risky so read up on doing such things beforehand and back up the registry just in case.

See if the box gets unchecked again and if that "uncheck" correlates with some other recent activity such as a software update or other new installation.

I would expect that your PC is clean.

Could be that some attempt was made to infect your system and McAfee stopped it based on some later action taken by the attempt.

But run a few extra scans and keep an eye on the checkbox. Back up your data and have a recovery disk/USB drive handy.

And you can look for the check box setting in the registry if you are really concerned. Then you may be able to monitor the checkbox even more closely. However, poking about the registry is risky so read up on doing such things beforehand and back up the registry just in case.

See if the box gets unchecked again and if that "uncheck" correlates with some other recent activity such as a software update or other new installation.

Solution