Desperately need to double the memory capacity of my HP Pavilion dm4 1160us notebook

ethannino

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
Greetings!

I desperately need to increase the memory capacity of my HP Pavilion dm4 1160us notebook from the factory default 4gb to 8gb for work. I tried ordering some laptop memory online but it was incompatible with this model laptop. Will any 4gb 204 pin DDR3 1333MHz memory stick work with this laptop or does it need a specific kind? Please be as specific and detailed in your answer as possible, and please let me know the least expensive options available.

Many Thanks!
Ethan

Solution
The "L" generally means low voltage; 1.35v. I suspect that is the reason why that RAM was incompatible.

I believe starting with 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel CPU laptops started to use RAM that only consumed 1.35v instead of 1.5v. While minor it helps reduce power consumption. Your laptop has a 1st gen Intel CPU so it would need RAM that is spec'ed for 1.5v.

ethannino

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

Ahh, thank you! But to be extra extra sure, will all brands that are 4GB 204Pin PC3-8500 CL7 8c 128x8 DDR3-1066 SODIMM work with my laptop? I'm looking at 10600 memory on Newegg and Amazon and some of the reviews say that various memory brands don't work for them in particular.

ethannino

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
That website says 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V memory is compatible with my laptop. This is the memory I would like to get, however the memory I got on newegg that wasn't compatible was similar except for being PC3L instead of PC3.

Is there some fundamental incompatibility between PC3 and PC3L memory? Again, just double triple checking before purchasing.

The "L" generally means low voltage; 1.35v. I suspect that is the reason why that RAM was incompatible.

I believe starting with 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel CPU laptops started to use RAM that only consumed 1.35v instead of 1.5v. While minor it helps reduce power consumption. Your laptop has a 1st gen Intel CPU so it would need RAM that is spec'ed for 1.5v.

Solution