Developer Says 2-3 Years Till PS3 is Maxed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Whatever. The PS3's videocard SUCKS. Its NV47 based with 256MB of memory.... which puts it on par with 7800 series Nvidia graphics cards. I wouldn't care if the PS3 has a fucking 5GHz 9 core Nehalem CPU in it, its not going to get much better than what we're seeing now because its bottlenecked by a crap videocard with insufficient memory. The hardware is tapped people. Its fucking tapped.

G

Finally. I got the PS3 on day 1! I was one of those crazy fools who waited in line for 2 days. However, it seems like the slim has faster processing power than the first generation PS3...I hope my good ol' PS3 will last 3 years.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@kire
I hope your wrong. Because the longer the 360 and PS3 survive, the longer they'll be the platforms developers program for, and thus hold up the entire gaming industry. Personally, I'm sick of games being programed for DX9 and 5 year+ old graphics cards. Do you have any remote clue how inferior the hardware is in that PS3 is to a Radeon 5850? Its pathetic!

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
What else are they going to say? Just because the hardware was outdated by 2006, it doesn't mean they don't plan to milk it for all it's worth, until Sony finishes the next console that is.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah ditto iron. Yet still fagget fan boys keep telling me how much better consol is and better yet(this is a new one for me) telling me how once you hook it up to HD its ALL THE SAME AS PC. /rant

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well, all in all this is good news.

Concerning the gripes about old hardware and the like, this shouldn't really be news to anyone. It's always been that like and it will continue to be.

One of the allures of a console is that you don't have to keep upgrading your hardware to enjoy the latest titles on modest settings.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]The hardware is tapped people. Its fucking tapped.[/citation]

its a 3 and 4 year old console. its not as if people can interchange all the parts in the consoles like they could in a pc. so why are you rambling?

G

[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Whatever. The PS3's videocard SUCKS. Its NV47 based with 256MB of memory.... which puts it on par with 7800 series Nvidia graphics cards. I wouldn't care if the PS3 has a fucking 5GHz 9 core Nehalem CPU in it, its not going to get much better than what we're seeing now because its bottlenecked by a crap videocard with insufficient memory. The hardware is tapped people. Its fucking tapped.[/citation]

and yet look at the titles that are coming out now. they look like dx11 games such as uncharted 2 for example. let me see the xbox 360 produce a dx11 quality game one that supposed crappy hardware. oh and if you write back a negative viewpoint on what i just posted its only because you know i am right.

nate714

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I think the point was games being developed (for the most part) are not approaching the PS3's potential because so many titles are built to also use the xbox360's hardware.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]its a 3 and 4 year old console. its not as if people can interchange all the parts in the consoles like they could in a pc. so why are you rambling?[/citation]

I'm not rambling. I'm openly mocking the prospect that they can squeeze any more out of that piece of shit videocard. Your deductive ability must be poor if you didn't figure that out.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Sony has set the bar too high, even it can't reach. Sure, they had the vision, but it's useless in the real market if no one can reach that bar by the time the console needs to be replaced which is slated to be 2012. The competition (Wii isn't really a competition) is just basking in the fruits of the market because the platform is understood by most. Not many people are interested in investing money to relearn a lot of things in order to do something, that's money they could have saved. Consoles aren't meant to supercede PCs as it will never, but you've got to look at the economy, try to earn as much money with the least investment and developing for the PS3 ain't it. Hopefully Sony comes out with an easier to develop system for the next one to regain its PS2 status.

Until then, Microsoft can enjoy it's number 2 spot.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
ooooook.
So developers come up with games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 on the PC platform. Those two games would be excruciatingly slow on the PS3 due to the 7800-like GPU, yet they can't figure out how to max out the PS3????
That makes no sense.
Either this is plain BS or developing games for the PS3 is so much more complicated than for Windows that developers can't figure how to take full advantage of a three year old GPU. I don't really buy it.

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Having the graphics of a 7800 series is not bad at all. A lot of games at the moment have the system video requirements still at the 6600GT card and some game developers even port from console to PC. Please read it again where it says, "We're using all of the PS3 right now, but you can always be more efficient in the way you use it."

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]ooooook.So developers come up with games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 on the PC platform. Those two games would be excruciatingly slow on the PS3 due to the 7800-like GPU, yet they can't figure out how to max out the PS3????That makes no sense.Either this is plain BS or developing games for the PS3 is so much more complicated than for Windows that developers can't figure how to take full advantage of a three year old GPU. I don't really buy it.[/citation]
Far Cry 2 is on the PS3/360 and they are making Crysis 2 for PS3/360.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]and yet look at the titles that are coming out now. they look like dx11 games such as uncharted 2 for example. let me see the xbox 360 produce a dx11 quality game one that supposed crappy hardware. oh and if you write back a negative viewpoint on what i just posted its only because you know i am right.[/citation]

What does this article have to do with 360 and why did you bring it up when he was talking about PC? Do you have Sony's dong down your throat so far that you can't comment on a PS3 article without bringing up the 360?

PS3 has more processing power, 360 has a better vid card that allows 2xAA for almost free, PC kicks the shit out of everything, and you are a dumbass for thinking UC2 looks anything other than a well done DX9 game.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]@kireI hope your wrong. Because the longer the 360 and PS3 survive, the longer they'll be the platforms developers program for, and thus hold up the entire gaming industry. Personally, I'm sick of games being programed for DX9 and 5 year+ old graphics cards. Do you have any remote clue how inferior the hardware is in that PS3 is to a Radeon 5850? Its pathetic![/citation]

By the end of next year there will be 20 to 30 games out on the PC that use DirectX 11, the industry isn't being held up by old console hardware.

fulle does have a point about the video chipset, games for the PS3 won't look drastically better over the next 2 to 3 years instead developers will just look at ways on how to be more efficient with the hardware.

td25er

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
There are some real winners on here..fulle..maybe you should stop puffing your chest on the internet and actually have..relations..with a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.