Developers Working on New Nintendo Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Just because apple releases a tablet doesn't mean all other companies are threatened and feel they need to get a tablet out the door. Come on Kevin, the logic applied here just isn't very good...

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
The idea of a tablet specifically geared towards gaming hadn't crossed my mind until now. This could be a viable market for Nintendo, providing they can devise some sort of form factor that would appeal to as wide a market as the Wii does. Those clever Japanese have always thought things out fairly well, and this could be another huge success if it's real.

Interesting idea though...

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
i hope Nintendo realizes that the weakest point of their entire console franchise is the poor graphics. it leaves no room for the hard core games.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
who the hell would want a gaming tablet!???

actually I would, would be cool, for the love of god give us physical buttons on the side tho PLEASE!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]I just want a Wii with real horsepower and some good games.[/citation]

buy an xbox? or a ps3? or a pc??

spagunk

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]'tablet' isn't that optimal format for anything but e-readers[/citation]

And note taking, and maps and anything that requires tactile maneuvering. I have even seen music developers use "tablet" interfaces to a far greater extent than just e-readers. Just sayin'.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Just in:

Nintendo is doing business as usual in that they are designing new products, to be released in the future.

In response, many are making guesses, and Tom's - not to be outdone - makes a 500 word article featuring nothing but rumors.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]skine[/nom]Just in: Nintendo is doing business as usual in that they are designing new products, to be released in the future. In response, many are making guesses, and Tom's - not to be outdone - makes a 500 word article featuring nothing but rumors.[/citation]

haha my thoughts exactly.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]who the hell would want a gaming tablet!???actually I would, would be cool, for the love of god give us physical buttons on the side tho PLEASE![/citation]

You mean a big DS with one screen?

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Good God, seriously why is everyone so upset about the Wii? Its an awesome platform with reasonable graphics. The people that whine about graphics are the FPS crowd. Do us all a favor and have a real death match with your friends and .45's.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hm...i used to be a nintendo fan...but then they abandoned hard core gamers lol. I guess a company has to do what they have to do to make money though.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]haha my thoughts exactly.[/citation]
Sorry, I did leave off

"... and details at 11"

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Square_Head[/nom]Good God, seriously why is everyone so upset about the Wii? Its an awesome platform with reasonable graphics. The people that whine about graphics are the FPS crowd. Do us all a favor and have a real death match with your friends and .45's.[/citation]
The only really bad thing about the Wii is that only Nintendo makes (original) great games for it.

Honestly, I own quite a few systems (2600, NES, Master System, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Playstation, N64, Saturn, (broken) Xbox, Wii), but I realize games cost more than systems. Every system has a "Mario" and a "Zelda," and as long as you have those two good games, it's worth it.

Mario and Zelda per system:

Space Invaders, Asteroids
Mario, Zelda
Zaxxon 3D, Alex Kidd
Sonic 2, Road Rash 2
Mario, Zelda
Dark Forces, Spyro
Mario, Zelda
Nights into Dreams, Road Rash
Halo 2, Halo
Zelda, Okami

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
What would be truly funny is if nintendo came out with a new console that was given modern hardware (rather than the 5 year old hardware that the PS3 and 360 have). In theory, Nintendo could create a console that has graphics only rivaled by the PC, because with new tech the graphics could cream the PS3 and 360... This could easily be the major comeback of nintendo as a "serious" console maker. If they played their cards right, they might even be able to keep their current "casual" gamers in the loop as well...

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]The idea of a tablet specifically geared towards gaming hadn't crossed my mind until now. This could be a viable market for Nintendo, providing they can devise some sort of form factor that would appeal to as wide a market as the Wii does. Those clever Japanese have always thought things out fairly well, and this could be another huge success if it's real.Interesting idea though...[/citation]

Certianly is an interesting idea.

Though as another person already commented, it will probably wind down to an oversized DS. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, larger screen would be awesome, but part of the appeal of Nintendo consoles/hand-helds has always been their portability. Something that would be lost with a larger touch-screen device. Which tend to be fairly delicate.
Really if this rumor comes true, what are they going to add to that the DS doesnt have?
DS has touchscreen
Wifi support
SD slots
Drawing Pad
Camera
and two decent sized screens.

Anyway, we'll see. Nintendo is good at inovation, the Wii is testament to that fact, and i'd love to see their next console/platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.