Device manager does not recognize installed HDD

Kirk Robinson

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
Hello all. I have a problem I ca't seen to figure out. I recently picked up a new 2TB Seagate laptop SATA HDD for my Asus G73Jh laptopp running windows 8.1. When installed in the secondary HDD bay, disk manager does NOT recognize the disk, however if I use a USB adapter the disk pops right up. So I formatted it NTFS while plugged into the USB port and tried to re-install it into the drive bay... Same problem, it's not being recognized! I tried another SATA HDD in the drive bay and others will work fine, so I know the problem is not the 2TB HDD and I know it's not the bay but when I put them together, problem!. Also The Bios doesn't recognize the HDD in AHCI mode. it will recognize it in IDE mode but then my existing Drive does not boot so I have to change the SATA mode back to AHCI. I also checked the Mobo drivers everything seems to be installed and updated to the latest version by windows 8. So I'm loosing my mind here. Any other suggestions?

Kirk Robinson

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

That's not it. My computer automatically assigned a drive letter when it created the NTFS formatted volume via the USB adapter. and it works fine on USB.

Kirk Robinson

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
I was up all night working on this and here's what found. I have two physical drives. The primary, with Win 8.1,game files and programs, is a 1TB Seagate hybrid SSHDD, the secondary drive is being used strictly for storage and backup. It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. Now in AHCI SATA mode the BIOS can only see the 1TB hybrid (OS) drive and in IDE SATA mode I cannot boot into win 8.1 (BSOD) and can only see the 2TB (Storage) drive. Here's the "Solution" I found and it's a compromise. so I'm still looking for a better one if at all possible. While AHCI mode means faster access to data and files on my SSHD, it will not see my storage drive but IDE mode while not as fast or efficient for an SSD/ HDD hybrid, will work in compatibility mode. Windows just needs to load the old IDE drivers in compatibility mode to recognize my drives. so I put Windows 8 into safemode changed the bios to IDE compatibility mode let windows boot into safemode (to load the necessary drivers at boot) then restarted windows in normal start up mode and now I can access both of my drives....All be it in the slower, less efficient IDE compatibility mode. So my next question is.... How can I get my computer to recognize both drives in AHCI mode? I have seen posts online about registry edits that help in windows 7 but that "trick" doesn't work in windows 8 as the registry keys I will need to change doesnt exist in Win8. :(