Solved! Device to Remotely Cover a Security Camera?

tmc1284

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
I have a vacation rental with an interior security camera. I'll use a remote controllable power plug to power it off when it is being rented and back on when it is vacant, but I still feel that guests will not be comfortable with it being in view.

I do have a SmartThings Z-Wave Hub. The security camera is standing upright and on a level surface above my kitchen cabinets(it's a Piper nv security camera measuring 4" W x 6" H with the camera lens just below 5" H) and there is leveled space in front of it for a device to cover/shield it. Is there a device that exists could be used to shield the view of the Security Camera that can go up and then retract back down? I feel like the device I'm looking for, if it even exists, is going to take some creative thinking to come up with an idea. I wouldn't care if it was a device or multiple devices that look completely out of place. For example if I placed a few meant to be in-ground garden sprinklers that are actually are able to go up then stop, and then retract remotely I'm pretty sure my guests would prefer the garden sprinklers over the security camera.

Solution
I have a Piper NV Security Camera too and I prefer it over other cams because it looks more of a speaker really, than being a security cam. I think people won't really think and feel conscious about being watched since it looks like the speakers of a PC. Maybe your guests will think it's a sound system device.

cubix111

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
I have a Piper NV Security Camera too and I prefer it over other cams because it looks more of a speaker really, than being a security cam. I think people won't really think and feel conscious about being watched since it looks like the speakers of a PC. Maybe your guests will think it's a sound system device.

Solution

TechDadHere

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Exactly! I couldn't agree more. It does look more of a mini speaker at first glance. People would never think of it as a security cam, same with Canary too. Torn between these two. You'll only notice that they really are cameras once you get to stare at it and see the lens.