DHS Policies Allow Border Officials to Seize Your Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is likely illegal and very likely violates the Constitution of the United States. An arbitrary government entity has created an arbitrary rule without basis in the rule of law. Such seizures and searches should require a warrant at the very least.

G

The constitution? Feh - who cares about the consitution when there's terrists about!

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
He's obviously being sarcastic :)
This is really disgusting. I especially like the "other reasons" as well. Maybe DHS can team up with some data mining companies and improve their "targeted advertisements" with your personal information... I'm waiting for someone to come out and say "IP theft is terrorism". I'm sure that what the "other reasons" are. I never bought the government conspiracy BS surrounding 9/11, but with all the new-found power being doled out and "McCarthyism" like terrorism protections being instituted, I'm thinking about it.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Several security organisations have been warning business travellers for a while now to either take a clean-drive laptop with them or buy a cheap laptop in-country, then load their VPN client and download what they need from their home server. Many overseas business people just prefer not to go to the US at all because of all of the hassle.

Several business conventions are no longer staged in the US at all, as the attendance is now below break-even.

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]croc[/nom] Many overseas business people just prefer not to go to the US at all because of all of the hassle.Several business conventions are no longer staged in the US at all, as the attendance is now below break-even.[/citation]

This is fantastic, because our economy is currently in such great shape!!!!

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
This is totally wrong. Customs should have to obey laws just like everyone else. China is easing up on their snooping during the Olympics, but the US seems to be increasing their totalitarianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.