Diablo 3 Console Version Could Be "Later"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
The fact that they're already planning ( officially or not ) a console port makes me worry that the game will suffer from them trying to make things "console friendly". When you factor their insistence on using Battlenet into the equation I find my self less and less intrigued by a game I desperately want to love.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Why?

Console are not powerful enough.

If Diablo 3 does come out on consoles, players will be playing at less than 720p on low-med settings...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The original Diablo was ported to original playstation it actually wasn't a bad port. The gameplay isn't impossible on a controller and the graphics on Diablo III aren't exactly ground breaking so I am sure the consoles could handle it. I personally don't care if the game gets ported on the consoles.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I said before in a previous comment about 2 months ago that the game play already resembles that of a console styled hack-n-slash game.

I know a lot of fans like the "click click click die die die" feel from the previous Diablo's (including myself) but for me even the second iteration of the series suffered from a less necessary need for character development. I know there was a lot more "choice" for character development with the addition of skills and more equipable equipment, but the latter actually seemed to take away from the actual character attribute development aspect of the game. It sort of' seemed like there wasn't a lot of point in increasing your attributes other than just being able to equip better stuff. You were better off most of the time not distributing the skill points until you found a suitable weapon or armor and needed to meet a given requirement in order to equip it.

In the original Diablo the impact of attributes was much more profound. In some cases whether you should increase your strength or dexterity would mean being able to beat an enemy or get beaten by them.

Don't read this the wrong way. I am a Diablo fan. I loved both releases, including the expansion packs for both. I will say however, if you remove all of the expansion packs from the equation (including the "big" Diablo II patch that added a lot of new things) that the first Diablo had much better replay value that Diablo II. Without the extra content from the expansion packs and patches. Diablo II would have been too boring to think about playing after only a year. With only the aspect of maybe this time will be that 1/300,000 chance of finding the "Sword of Uber Slaying", which would be fun to run around with for a little while, but without the personal character development I wouldn't have gotten to love the character enough to care about whether or not it gets deleted in a month or so.

Now they've even gotten rid of health potions. One of the most fun parts of the original game was needing to flee through a “Town Portal” to safety and recover by getting healed and buying potions. Especially in a multiplayer game where one player has opened the portal and another is trying desperately to make it to its beckoning glow that promises safety and comfort beyond it shiny surface. Some people may have found the portals to be an inconvenience, but I've found very few things to be more amusing to witness than seeing 4 players, who have just gotten their asses handed to them, scurrying around trying to make it through that one guy's portal because he was the only one who could get one off without dying, or sometimes he would anyways and everyone would flee through his portal while he lies there on the ground dead. Ha ha ha, good times! Anyways, without health potions, what would be the need for a “Town Portal” and all of the fun that comes along with it?

I believe Blizzard has taken a game franchise that was “fun ‘till the end” and then some, and turned it into a game that is better suited to turning on and playing for 15 minutes when you have or need a short break from something else. They probably didn’t what to take any large playtime chunks out of their precious “World of Warcraft” pot of gold. I am really hoping it will turn out to be a better game than I fear.

G

thisisme, I partly agree with what you are saying about the character development. One place that this is very obvious is with the energy attribute. Except for the sorceress, pretty much all character builds put nothing into this attribute. This is even more so after the early patch (I believe 1.01 or 1.02) that made mana potions available for sale. Before that, there was actually some value in adding to energy. Once that patch was released, there was almost no reason to add to energy. In addition, only a handful of the skills for each character are capable of building a character around. Many of the skills are worthless and are only used for getting to a stronger skill further down the skill tree. It would be nice is every skill could be the main focus of the character.

vikingm03

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
If they do end up making diablo 3 for the 360, and it comes out within 4-6 months of the pc release, ill get it for the 360. Diablo = destroying your left click (a button) + spamming health pots (some other button) + spamming a single spell at a time (another button) 360/ps3 port DONE... almost...

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Fine with me. i played Diablo I on both PC and playstation console. What I was impress is I got Scared 2 for the PS3 and the controll was great, so I expect Diablo III will even better. Will I get this on the PC or PS3 is just hhow badly I want to play it.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wouldn't be much different than Baulder's Gate. (Getting BG2 is such a pain, wish I kept my original.)

I'd much rather if for the PC myself though.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
will it work on my iPhone? or perhaps on my MacBook Pro under Leopard?
Dream on suckers - ;) Only windows makes it possible :)))

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
It could work on the Wii, the point-and-click capability of the wiimote would pretty much feel like a mouse and a reduced keyboard.

Though the graphics may look like crud.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't think this game will suffer with (well done) console controls; but it will change the whole over all experience for the PC version. I've not seen a good console inventory system yet.

The problem is, its all lowest common denominator stuff. I'd love to put faster bits in my PS3 so it can keep up the PC, just for the love of the upgrade. but no way will it be able to do 1080p with full effects.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]thisisme[/nom]I am a Diablo fan. I loved both releases, including the expansion packs for both. I will say however, if you remove all of the expansion packs from the equation (including the "big" Diablo II patch that added a lot of new things) that the first Diablo had much better replay value that Diablo II. Without the extra content from the expansion packs and patches. Diablo II would have been too boring to think about playing after only a year. With only the aspect of maybe this time will be that 1/300,000 chance of finding the "Sword of Uber Slaying", which would be fun to run around with for a little while, but without the personal character development I wouldn't have gotten to love the character enough to care about whether or not it gets deleted in a month or so.[/citation]

I agree totally, Diablo 2 + Exp. I played 1.5 times through, while the original one, well me and my best friend played it solid for 1 year on my pc taking turns, and then some. We only went to school, showered, ate and quite often went across the road to buy a new mouse, yip I went through a crapload of mice.

On a different note, me and the same said friend played Diablo 2 when it came out a lot to, but we had a more social life this time around. One night we came home very drunk, and he put his three perfect gems that took him loooong time to get, in some cruddy sword. The next morning he was mad at me for allowing him that. Shit time flies, that was almost 9 years ago.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
How hard can it be to port? The Playstation 3 already supports a keyboard/mouse and Microsoft is just waiting for a good reason to get kb/m support on their console. I've seen the graphics, they aren't ground breaking and could certainly run on the PS3/Xbox 360. Porting for controllers might be pretty difficult but I see no reason why kb/m can't be used with the consoles. More people = more sales. Common sense dictates it will show up on the consoles.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I wouldn't mind having voice control over a game like Diablo 3 on my 360. EndWar wasn't my kind of game but it did work when I demoed it. Perhaps it's not everyone's cup-of-tea but voice seems more flexible in a crunch than finding the right key to press...

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
To get the classic Diablo feel you have to play it on your PC, you just have to! But I guess eventually we should let the consolers in on the fun too.

Element0f0ne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Pointless article and misleading title. If anything, the news from the Blizzard rep is essentially saying, that no, a console version of Diablo 3 is not in the making at all. Of course you can always add "maybe later" to anything... it's all hypothetical.

There is absolutely no reason to believe they are "waiting for the motion sensing tech" for the PS3 and 360 to release Diablo 3 for those systems.

This is just someone wanting something really bad, and spinning what someone has said to match his hope. GG, but no thanks.

Diablo 3 is and has always been a PC title, and the port to console is just a feint afterthought at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.