Question Diagnosing Memory Issue with Dell 15 3000 Series (3358)

Jul 16, 2019
Hello,
A little while ago, I experienced problems with my laptop. Historically, we had problems where if the bottom half of the laptop flexed or was bumped even slightly, the screen would tear (like I've experienced before a BSOD on an old Windows 7 machine) and freeze, no further input would be possible and the machine would have to be manually shut down via the power button. For whatever reason, it would brick itself. No Blue Screen was ever generated and (to my memory) System Restore was not run automatically on any of these occasions.
After a couple of years of use (but well within the machine's expected lifespan), we attempted to power on the machine, not having recently experienced problems with it. After failing to boot, the machine elicited four loud beeps. Identifying this according to Dell's POST tone guide showed a Memory Error.

The recommendation was to see if the RAM cards were in any way unseated. After dismantling the computer, removing, and replacing (the original) memory cards, the machine returned the same error when attempting to boot. The RAM Cards are stock, two (2) 2GB DDLR3 SODIMM... thingies. Has anybody experienced similar problems? I couldn't find any evidence of this online and we are probably going to move to replace the faulty parts. That said, I'm concerned it may be a Motherboard issue. If you need any more information, please do let me know.

Otherwise, it's running Windows 10 64-Bit with (I believe) a 1 TB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, and I think an Intel i5 processor with an integrated graphics card.

Thank you very much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop Tech Support 2
Schize Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 3
K Laptop Tech Support 1
Q Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3