Did Amazon Nuke eReader Market with Kindle Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I prefer e-ink readers for reading books to a tablet screen. Much easier on the eyes IMO. However it appears that I'm in the minority.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Na, I've got both and never use the Fire for E-reading. It just isn't as fun or pleasant to read with. I can see a short term dip in e-reader sales though as people try out the Fire, but I think that most real "readers" will get the e-reader. When we get color e-readers at a decent price the demand for the e-reader will be even stronger.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The target market may have become saturated with these devices. Amazon isn't using an iPod or iPad model of product lifecycle by which your device is obsolete two years later.

Kindles continue to work and provide the same level of service years later.

I am a huge fan of e-ink. If you read a lot, there's nothing easier on the eyes.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
...In addition, we're dealing with a decent-quality product that lasts a while like 'back in the old days'. When the market became saturated with a product back then, manufacturers were forced to come up with new and innovative products rather than think of ways they could make the old high-quality products stop working or become obsolete (again... iPod, iPhone, iPad).

G

Try reading with a Kindle Fire at the beach, at full sunlight, or with any other tablet. Next to impossible. In that situation an e-ink reader works flawlessly and the reading experience is similar to that of a conventional paper book.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]People don't actually read...[/citation]
LOL

I'm going to copy what others here say; nobody uses the fire as a reader, they use it as a cheap tablet. My wife has a kindle and my co-worker has a fire, and there is simply no comparing the 2 products. My wife recharges her kindle every month or 2 (unless she forgets to turn off the wifi lol), while my coworker recharges every single day, and sometimes twice a day if she uses it a lot. the Kindle is very easy to read, while the fire is a piece of junk for text clarity (I think my crappy phone is clearer on text!). 2 very different products, for 2 very different markets.

I think the biggest thing to note here is how few people buy these devices for themselves. Most of them are bought as gifts, and so I think a great many people who would have ordered a regular kindle for themselves are getting the fire because the person buying it does not know what they are getting and simply thinks that color is better.

G

@svilla

as much as i like e-ink i need a device that can do better than 10fps screen updates (and no im not playing FPS or anything) and i have no intention of dragging around two devices. It is possible to read on a LCD, it's called white on black and works surprisingly well, it's no where near as nice as e-ink but far from painful

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I still have my old RCA REB 1100 book reader (only 11 hours on a charge with the backlight), its fat and bulky but not too heavy, kinda like holding a paperback. Works great. Only thing I am missing is wifi and true USB mounting capability. I am looking at a kindle ereader vs the fire as I have no interest in another gaming and video device. I read about three books a week. Of course ME3 will cut into that time for a few days.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm still using a first gen Kobo e-ink reader. I know quite a few people with tablets but I don't know of any that uses it for more than very light reading. Everyone I know that is a heavy reader uses an e-reader or just reads paper books.

imi2003

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
When deciding between a normal e-ink kindle and the kindle fire for my daughter, angry birds and a usable color internet browser made my decision.
I went for the normal e-ink kindle, i rather my kids read a proper book than waste their time on facebook and playing angry birds.
I bet most of these kindle fire's will turn in to angry bird pads for kids, instead of being used for their intended use, to read books.

G

I love my eInk Kindle, but I've spent more of my time reading on the Fire because it's convenient to also be able to do other things. And yes, I'm reading whole books. I've even been using Kindle on my phone more than my eInk lately. Sad that it is gathering dust! But should it break, I would still buy an eInk device to compliment my tablet

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]...In addition, we're dealing with a decent-quality product that lasts a while like 'back in the old days'. When the market became saturated with a product back then, manufacturers were forced to come up with new and innovative products rather than think of ways they could make the old high-quality products stop working or become obsolete (again... iPod, iPhone, iPad).[/citation]I'm a bit confused as to how these devices keep becoming obsolete. Aside from gaining non-proprietary ports, I've never had a need for an MP3 player better than the original iPod (and never had one that good).

And I've never had a phone better than the original iPhone. What makes the new ones THAT much better to where the previous version is automatically obsolete.

Wow! Americans have ridiculously large disposable incomes.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]I still have my old RCA REB 1100 book reader (only 11 hours on a charge with the backlight), its fat and bulky...I read about three books a week.[/citation]You've gotta get an e-ink Kindle...'nuff said.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I have both Fire and Keyboard models. Their uses don't overlap much. The e-ink screen is far better for reading a book, while the tablet is better for browsing YouTube or reading short articles.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]I have both Fire and Keyboard models. Their uses don't overlap much. The e-ink screen is far better for reading a book, while the tablet is better for browsing YouTube or reading short articles.[/citation]
How is the tablet better for reading short stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.