Did Ashton Kutcher Pirate His Own Movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cottonball

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It's funny he thinks the movie is good, because he's in it. All reviews about the movie have been below average.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
That last paragraph makes perfect sense to be the truth. This is just a marketing stunt. Im 100% sure that after the release of the movie in theaters, we will never hear of this again.

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Lol, this movie is nothing but a rehash of Mr. and mrs. Smith, however I think that streaming the first 13 minutes is a good idea, if only as an experiment. Is it piracy? heck no, if people want to see the movie after watching those 13 minutes, then that's their choice and their money to burn away...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
"If they (executives) can figure out how to make money off of it, they won't call it piracy anymore."

You idiot, that's because piracy is obtaining files for FREE. Paying to download movies wouldn't be call piracy BECAUSE IT ISN'T.

[citation][nom]Sykar[/nom]I hate Ashton Kutcher btw, everything he has ever done is crap IMHO[/citation]

I couldn't agree more.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
"In fact, critics have gotten so heated up over the issue that they have called on the Motion Picture Association of America to take their nit picky lawsuits and complaints and shove it up their rich asses."

Fixed it.

G

Anything that is not explicitly blessed by the studio lawyers is considered piracy regardless of their source and regardless of whether the so-called infringement actually benefits the studios or not. This has never been about piracy and never will be - it's about control. It's about preventing competition, stifling innovation, and sticking to an outdated business model that is no longer relevant in the 21st century. Studios do not sue 12 year-old girls on welfare just to save a few bucks that might have been from lost sales. They sue 12 year-old girls on welfare because they can.

poseidon2112

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
You know, what I'd like to see with America is this:

Someone who actually understands the state that things have become from the consumers' perspective figure out a way to sue absolutely everybody who has pirated a movie all at once for the full amount possible. No class action or anything, just 50 million (or so) lawsuits at once. Clog the courts. Then, everyone who has been sued declare bankruptcy. Imagine 20 percent of the citizens declaring bankruptcy in the US. THEN, the government would finally step in and tell the stupid movie studios to figure out a new way to do business.

the movie studios don't understand the concept of an economy of scale. this is the first problem. Second, it's not like Americans don't spend enough on entertainment. Look at the debt crisis that just happened. Americans are spending absolutely every dollar they can muster up. Obviously, some of this goes to the entertainment industry. They need to realize that it's next to impossible to squeeze the american people for any more money than they already spend.

So here's an idea: create a system that allows us to spend just a little more money than we already do to legally have the rights to view/own even more than we are watching/downloading. this would be a huge compromise that I think most people would settle for. Then, we would be in a little more debt, but the companies wouldn't have to spend so much money on legal costs to fight these people....It's basically a win-win.

Just my 2 cents...

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]overclockingrocks[/nom]I see this the same as when Lars from Metallica "pirated" Death Magnetic. If anyone has a right to do it it's him.[/citation]
Bad example since Lars is a huge bitch regarding piracy and crusaded against Napster back in the day.

I don't like Ashton Kutcher, but I have to side with him on this. Sounds like he showed what amounted to a Youtube clip. If these industries keep pushing against piracy, pirates are always going to push back harder. It doesn't help that there's a huge hypocrisy going on too with the people fighting against piracy committing piracy themselves.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
It's called a "Sneak Preview" people. He did a "sneak preview" without permission. That's not piracy, that's just Ashton being a retard.

If anything, Lionsgate might be able to go after him for not asking permission first, but that's about it.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
there hasnt been a single movie yet that hes been in thats been even remotely good. Sorry to say it but he sucks as an actor, and hes not funny, his show sucks( cant even remember what its called)
Cant believe he ever made it as an actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.